Government Hire Back

Kurapika

Kurapika
  • Applicant

I recently accepted a 1L job with the MAG at a crown office for the summer. I was wondering if government positions generally hire back their students for 2L and articling? I know Bay Street firms almost always hire all their summer students back, so should I expect the same from the MAG?

RuleOfBlah
  • Law Student

I was told that you have to reapply every single summer (for summer law student positions) to MAG, and for articling as well. 

Kurapika
  • Applicant
12 hours ago, RuleOfBlah said:

I was told that you have to reapply every single summer (for summer law student positions) to MAG, and for articling as well. 

Yeah I assumed this was the case. I'm hoping my 1L summer position will at least make it easier to get a MAG or other government position for 2L summer.

MiceInRice
  • Articling Student

For what it's worth, the few people I know who summered at a Crown's office were hired back as articling students at that same office. Unsure if they had to reapply during the articling recruit.

Edited by MiceInRice

RuleOfBlah
  • Law Student
19 hours ago, Kurapika said:

Yeah I assumed this was the case. I'm hoping my 1L summer position will at least make it easier to get a MAG or other government position for 2L summer.

I think the fact that you already aced the government interview once is something that will help you when reapplying! That's the hardest part, so you already have a leg up on other people who haven't succeeded in those interviews

• 2 weeks later...
TommyBratton
  • Articling Student

I simmered with a Ministry office (so MAG as a Legal Service Branch) and was offered back without having to reapply. I know that CLOC does the same thing too.

Kibitzer
  • Lawyer

Whether you have to compete between Summer and Articling varies by each office. Anecdotally, on the civil side, more offices seem to simply extend articling offers instead of making their students compete. 

From Articling to counsel, in most situations you have to compete. In rare circumstances, you can get hired without a competition on an emergency contract however there are limits on that contract length and you will eventually have to compete for the position. 

Edited by Kibitzer
  • Like 1

Kurapika
  • Applicant
20 hours ago, TommyBratton said:

I simmered with a Ministry office (so MAG as a Legal Service Branch) and was offered back without having to reapply. I know that CLOC does the same thing too.

Have you heard what the process is for the Crown Law Office - Criminal or other criminal offices? 

TommyBratton
  • Articling Student
On 4/4/2023 at 5:05 PM, Kurapika said:

Have you heard what the process is for the Crown Law Office - Criminal or other criminal offices? 

Sorry, I have not.