Dual JD

yourfuturelawwyyerr

yourfuturelawwyyerr
  • Applicant

Uploaded my supplemental for the Dual JD Feb 28, received by UWindsor on March 3, and referred to the admission committee last week. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back for dual? I'm waitlisted for the single, so my fingers are crossed that I have a chance at the dual JD! Any advice is helpful 🙂 Thanks!

Turtles
  • Law Student
44 minutes ago, yourfuturelawwyyerr said:

Any advice is helpful 🙂 Thanks!

Don't do the dual. Abandon the application. If the waitlist doesn't pan out, apply again next year.

• Like 1

yourfuturelawwyyerr
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, Turtles said:

Don't do the dual. Abandon the application. If the waitlist doesn't pan out, apply again next year.

Why do you say that?

Turtles
  • Law Student
13 minutes ago, yourfuturelawwyyerr said:

Why do you say that?

Because there is almost no realistic circumstance in which the dual would leave you better off than an alternative route. 

If you want to practice in Canada -> go to a Canadian school. Any. Consider UNB, Manitoba, etc. Apply to literally every single school in every province. Boost your LSAT. Write a strong application. Get some decent work experience. You can probably get in somewhere better.

If you want to practice in NY -> a Canadian JD can write the NY bar exam to enable this. The challenge is finding a job. A Detroit Mercy JD ain't going to help much. Given your GPA, your best bet it probably going to a Canadian school, working in Canadian big law, then eventually lateralling over when the market is hot. 

If you want to practice wills and estates in Arkansas or some other non-NY US practice -> go to one of the 138 better ranked US schools, probably at least one will pay for more of your tuition and lower your costs. 

Even if it's your only acceptance, you're still better off rejecting the offer to instead apply to other (Canadian or US) schools next year. Even if you spend an entire year just travelling throughout southeast asia for the next year and a half waiting for next year's cycle, you'd probably still be better off financially. This dual JD opens few doors but more than doubles your total tuition -- money better spent on fancy hotels and playing with temple monkeys in Malaysia. Don't blow all that money on one of the worst schools, out of 200, in the US.

Your GPA ain't great, but it ain't poor enough for you to be desperate for this scam.

Edited by Turtles

erin otoole
  • Lawyer

I don't get this turtle dudes pure hate for the Dual. Go read the forum here: 

Do the cost benefit analysis if you get accepted, the dual is very expensive. You've already completed the free application so sit around hoping for an acceptance elsewhere. If you get accepted to any other program in Canada take that one instead. The dual makes very little sense outside of extreme sacrifice or absolute desperation to be a lawyer. It took extreme sacrifice for me to finish with a manageable amount of debt from the dual, most people aren't willing to do the same.