Dumb Question about 2L Summer Job

goodisgood

goodisgood
  • Law Student

Hello, I know the answer is "it depends on the firm" but I was wondering what your experiences were regarding when your employer actually contacted you with information on your summer job. I already signed a contract months ago and I know what my start date is. But, with that start date coming up in a little more than a month, I was wondering when I should follow up with them or if I should in the first place just so I could get an idea of when exactly I should be going into the office or what I have to bring. 

LMP
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, goodisgood said:

Hello, I know the answer is "it depends on the firm" but I was wondering what your experiences were regarding when your employer actually contacted you with information on your summer job. I already signed a contract months ago and I know what my start date is. But, with that start date coming up in a little more than a month, I was wondering when I should follow up with them or if I should in the first place just so I could get an idea of when exactly I should be going into the office or what I have to bring. 

Boutique or medium sized firms probably won't send anything until April. It is really just biglaw firms that send stuff out earlier (in part to work out what areas you want to get work from).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
SNAILS
  • Law Student

Last year, I knew hardly anything until the day after my last exam, and then I got thrown into the "zoo." (in my case, researching whether we have an argument against a voluntary police confession). Unfortunately, "tasks for the summer student" can be an afterthought for a busy lawyer. The more important question for me than "What will I be doing?" is "Who is going to be telling me what to do day to day?" (And don't look down on law clerks and paralegals, they are often the people running the show).

Try to avoid taking orders from more than one boss, or you might find yourself overwhelmed or with conflicting demands on your time.