Conditional Offer

Megjackson

Megjackson
  • Law Student

I got a conditional acceptance at TRU. The condition is that I enroll in and pass the two summer courses being offered at USASK for indigenous students (Law 210.5 and Law 232.3). They made the offer conditional due to my GPA (very extenuating circumstances, sister seriously injured her back and I had to raise her 4 kids and help her, so there was a period where I was barley passing my classes). 

I have no doubt that I'll be able to pass these courses. The issue I'm stressing about is housing. The classes end at the end of July. Is that enough time to plan to find housing? Should I even bother applying for residency on campus this late? I have doubts about paying for a room on campus before I'm even officially accepted, if I even get a room offer. 

Should I just start making plans to move now? 

The deadline for the deposit is May 15th. 

Edited by Megjackson
  • Like 1

• Megjackson changed the title to Conditional Offer
CleanHands
  • Lawyer

I'd recommend Airbnb for periods living in a specific city for only a few months. I've done it a few times. Can search the city and dates, book a place and get it secured the same day, have protection from scams, and have support if there are issues or things fall through. No need to worry about leases, references, etc. Only downside is that you'll probably have to pay a few hundred bucks more a month than if you arranged a proper lease/sublet, but most decent sized Canadian cities have options that are way cheaper than hotels, and for a stay of a few months that is well worth saving the hassle, IMO.

I've done it myself during my 2L summer job and a few times when I moved to different cities to have a place to stay easily secured for a month or two before I find something longer term. Never had any issues and it made these sorts of moves significantly less stressful.

Check the cancellation policy for the specific booking you contemplate, but every time I've done it I've also been able to cancel for a full refund if done before a certain date (so if you do find alternate housing or decide not to pursue TRU/USask you can bail).

Edited by CleanHands
  • Like 2

TheDevilIKnow
  • Articling Student

I agree with CleanHands. I've had an extended stay in YXE myself on Airbnb; there are lots of good options. That said, it may be worth looking into the school's housing options as well. School usually have all kinds of options for this sort of thing during the summer. Might also find some other folks on here who are doing the summer program (I recall threads from previous years), and figure something out together. There may also be U of S students looking to sublet their places for the summer while they work in Calgary, etc... maybe reashing out to their Law Students' Society could help.

• Like 1