Asking Admission Advice (GPA, Retaken courses, summer school, volunteering work, etc)

Jean26

Jean26
  • Applicant

For starters, thank you for giving attention to my post. It might be a little long! 🙂 

I am at HEC and intend to apply in September 2023 to McGill Law. I am seeking help to estimate my chances of getting in and receive advice as to which move I should do next to increase my admission probability. I thought of a few possibilities to strengthen my application that I would like feedback on. 

I have one semester left, and I have good recommendation letters (including a Lawyer/Law teacher I had) and a decent CV (leadership roles, and legal clinic volunteering). However, I currently have a low GPA ( 3.6/4.3 cGPA -> roughly 3.36/4.0). 

• Is this a dealbreaker? According to your experience, how would you guys evaluate my chances of getting in?

First, I am considering retaking some courses to increase my GPA. Basically, there would be the same courses shown two times on my transcript: let's say one with a ''B'' and the second with an ''A+''. It would increase my GPA for sure, but I am wondering how it would be seen by the Admission Committee, or if it's even common to do that. 

• Does anyone here have retaken courses and got in? As the admission committee will see all the courses, would retaking a course be seen unfavourably? Is it worth trying? 

Second, I could do other courses during the Summer too (new ones). 

• Since McGill re-calculates the GPA, will Summer courses be included? Is this a good idea?

Finally, would you have any other general advice to increase my chances (other volunteering work, LSAT, experience, recommendation letter, etc)? If necessary, I could wait until next year to apply and prepare better, so all advice is welcome! 

Thank you so much  🙂 

Edited by Jean26

Renerik
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, Jean26 said:

Is this a dealbreaker? According to your experience, how would you guys evaluate my chances of getting in?

People have gotten in with a lower cgpa. That said, you'll be applying with a below average score and that will hurt your chances. A high LSAT score, meaningful extracurriculars, and impressive work experience could help offset the cgpa.

It would increase my GPA for sure, but I am wondering how it would be seen by the Admission Committee, or if it's even common to do that. 

Most schools treat retaken classes as if they were two separate classes. So the B would remain on your transcript, you'd just have an A+ to help off-set some of that - the A+ wouldn't override the B. People who've retaken classes have gotten in, though I don't think that it had a significant impact on their candidature. 

Since McGill re-calculates the GPA, will Summer courses be included?

McGill is a real black box when it comes to their admission procedures. That said, I suspect they'll look at your summer courses - though they won't assign as much weight towards them as your Fall/Winter courses. This is standard at many other schools, though not the rule.

any other general advice to increase my chances

McGill recommends that you take the LSAT if you're coming in with a below average gpa. I'd suggest you do the same. They average LSAT scores so only take it if you're confident you can score above McGill's average. 

If you want to start law school in September of 2024, I'd recommend that you apply to other schools too. McGill is funky and they often reject great candidates for seemingly no rhyme or reason. Picking up a volunteer activity now simply to boost your admissions chances for the next two admissions cycles probably won't have a significant impact on your candidature - schools often look for long lasting and dedicated commitments. 

**If your French is shaky, take a class (outside of university if you're affraid it'll tank your gpa). Would be real unfortunate if McGill rejected you because your French was below their already low requirements.

• Like 1