Western versus Queen's

dogsarecool

dogsarecool
  • Law School Admit

Is it a terrible idea to select Queen's over Western if I am interested in corporate law or IP law? For background, I am from Toronto and want to return. I haven't heard back from Osgoode and got a WL at U of T. I was accepted to TMU but their lack of clinics and newer reputation has made me decide against attending.  

On paper, Western seems like a great fit in terms of their corporate law focus and it's a bit closer to home. However, I went to the Welcome Day and also around London and I felt like I would be unhappy living in London, I didn't feel 100% safe there (in my own personal experience, this is no disrespect towards those who love London). I also don't know if I'd fit in with the students. 

In contrast, I loved the Queen's building, campus and Kingston seems like a place I could live. I think the diverse course offerings would give me a wide range of options as I am not 100% set on which area of law I want. However, I can't help but worry that I'd make the wrong choice by selecting Queen's because the OCI numbers are a bit better at Western in the past few years, and their new summer after 1L job program is tempting. 

Law school is a huge financial investment and I want to set myself up for career success, but also want to ensure since I am moving from home that I am still going to be happy to live there. Does anyone have any insight? Thanks!

The 5%, or whatever, higher placement number is almost certainly due to self-selection and not because Western is a superior school.

• Like 2

CoffeeLover200
  • Law Student

I would also give the OCI statistics limited weight when choosing between Queen's and Western. If you are looking at the Ultra Vires numbers for the 2023 2L recruit, there was only a 68% response rate from employers and I know personally of at least 8 people who obtained jobs through the formal Toronto recruit with employers who did not respond to the survey. In reality, Queen's likely placed a similar number of students in jobs through this year's formal recruit as Western. 

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

I agree with the above and I looked at the Western 1L summer job thing and it looks kind of dumb. It sets you up with placements that include "faculty research assistants, positions at Western Law’s legal clinics, and through the Western Law Internship Program (WLIP), as well as with other local agencies, non-profits, and offices on campus". 

These types of jobs are available at every other law school and aren't particularly competitive. 

scooter
  • Law Student

I think that people tend to undervalue their "intuition" when choosing a school. I am a big proponent of going to the school that you feel most excited about. 

• Like 2

Sparky
  • Law Student

You wouldn't be making a mistake selecting either school, but I will say FWIW that Western has a wider selection of IP courses as well as an IP clinic that students can get involved in.

• Like 1

ltmaverick25
  • Law Student
On 3/27/2023 at 11:41 AM, dogsarecool said:

Is it a terrible idea to select Queen's over Western if I am interested in corporate law or IP law? For background, I am from Toronto and want to return. I haven't heard back from Osgoode and got a WL at U of T. I was accepted to TMU but their lack of clinics and newer reputation has made me decide against attending.  

On paper, Western seems like a great fit in terms of their corporate law focus and it's a bit closer to home. However, I went to the Welcome Day and also around London and I felt like I would be unhappy living in London, I didn't feel 100% safe there (in my own personal experience, this is no disrespect towards those who love London). I also don't know if I'd fit in with the students. 

In contrast, I loved the Queen's building, campus and Kingston seems like a place I could live. I think the diverse course offerings would give me a wide range of options as I am not 100% set on which area of law I want. However, I can't help but worry that I'd make the wrong choice by selecting Queen's because the OCI numbers are a bit better at Western in the past few years, and their new summer after 1L job program is tempting. 

Law school is a huge financial investment and I want to set myself up for career success, but also want to ensure since I am moving from home that I am still going to be happy to live there. Does anyone have any insight? Thanks!

Just curious what you didn’t like about London and what made you not feel safe? The reason I ask is because I have also been excepted to Western in Durham considering my options. I don’t really know much about London, so any feedback is welcome.

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, ltmaverick25 said:

Just curious what you didn’t like about London and what made you not feel safe? The reason I ask is because I have also been excepted to Western in Durham considering my options. I don’t really know much about London, so any feedback is welcome.

I really enjoyed Western and London generally. Granted, everyone shows up with a different perspective. If you came from Toronto, you might find London to be smaller and quieter than you'd like. If you're coming from a small town, London might be big and exciting and full of things to do.

There's a saying in London about "east of Adelaide", and the idea is that the part of London on the east side of Adelaide St is rough and less safe than the west side. The area has improved significantly in the last few years, though, and Fanshawe college is on that side of London, so it's not bad so much as it just isn't as nice as the west side.

Overall, I consider London to be generally nicer, safer, and more interesting/lively than where I lived prior.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to DM me.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
lawschool333
  • Law Student

I went to Western and loved the school and I really enjoyed London. I never felt unsafe, I lived alone in an apartment on the ground floor and nothing bad ever happened. 

But if you feel more excited about Queen's, I think you know the answer! 

You can't go wrong. I chose Queens over Western and I know a few people who did too, and I'm sure people chose Western over Queens. Ultimately, just know you can't make a bad choice here both are great law buildings with great faculty and offerings. 

Now, you did mention you are interested in IP law and there are actually more IP courses at Western than Queen's and an IP clinic. But, that isn't to say we don't have IP courses and in-fact the IP club kind of restarted next year and I know a few people who want to have more events and stuff next year and people went on to win an IP Law moot this year. 

If you want to talk more feel free to DM me on discord.