Rejected 2023

backtomac

littlebigbug
  • Law Student

21 minutes ago, backtomac said:

Gutted to start this. 

3.32/169/3rd year

I’m so sorry 😞 do you mind sharing if you saw the update in your portal before/if you received an email?

Edited by littlebigbug

backtomac
  • Applicant
11 minutes ago, littlebigbug said:

I’m so sorry 😞 do you mind sharing if you saw the update in your portal before/if you received an email?

portal, no email

charlie1988
  • Applicant

Also seeing rejection in portal but not showing on OLSAS yet. Feels bad because I know my GPA was low but my post graduate education was all 4.0 and my LSAT was 168, with 15 years of work experience and excellent references. Any idea how we find out how we can improve for next round?

• Hugs 1

KIln22
  • Applicant
On 3/28/2023 at 4:57 PM, charlie1988 said:

Also seeing rejection in portal but not showing on OLSAS yet. Feels bad because I know my GPA was low but my post graduate education was all 4.0 and my LSAT was 168, with 15 years of work experience and excellent references. Any idea how we find out how we can improve for next round?

My condolences, sounds like you had a really strong application. I also wanted to know how we can find how to improve for next cycle; I was thinking simply emailing adcom requesting them to provide a general overview of strengths and weaknesses of our files, but other than that I've no real ideas. Do you (or anybody else) know if this is feasible?

GoatDuck
  • Law Student
34 minutes ago, KIln22 said:

My condolences, sounds like you had a really strong application. I also wanted to know how we can find how to improve for next cycle; I was thinking simply emailing adcom requesting them to provide a general overview of strengths and weaknesses of our files, but other than that I've no real ideas. Do you (or anybody else) know if this is feasible?

Emailing the adcoms will probably not give any concrete reasons why the application was denied, leaving Charlie with a generic "we had a competitive cycle and we cannot comment on individual strengths and weaknesses of each applicant." 

I'm sorry to hear about your rejection. What's your undergrad cGPA? Oz says they "consider your Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) for all of your years of undergraduate study", which is a handwavy way of saying that only your undergrad grades are included in the GPA calculation. If your undergrad cGPA is significantly lower than their medians, then the GPA is probably the issue. If you are not interested in any school but Oz, it's worth emailing them asking if they will include post-bachelors undergraduate grades in the GPA calculation. If they will, then you can take one or two more years of continuing education and get good undergrad grades under your belt before you apply again. It's up to you to determine whether the opportunity cost is worth it. If they don't include post-bachelors undergrad grades in the GPA calculation, or if you're not dead set on Oz, then you can try applying more broadly across Canada. If your undergrad grades are higher in your last two years of study than they are in your cGPA, then you may consider applying to L2 schools like UCalgary and some others -- these schools use only your last two years of undergrad in calculating your GPA. I believe UAlberta also considers your graduate grades, which would be good given your performance in grad school. Of course, these recommendations are contingent upon your willingness to go to law school outside of Ontario. 

• Thanks 1

charlie1988
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, KIln22 said:

I know someone who got into Osgoode a few years ago. She was rejected her first cycle and they gave her some generic feedback but she got in her second attempt. I did get an email eventually that said something about feedback not being given until the end of the cycle. So might be worth a shot then.

59 minutes ago, GoatDuck said:

Emailing the adcoms will probably not give any concrete reasons why the application was denied, leaving Charlie with a generic "we had a competitive cycle and we cannot comment on individual strengths and weaknesses of each applicant." 

I'm sorry to hear about your rejection. What's your undergrad cGPA? Oz says they "consider your Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) for all of your years of undergraduate study", which is a handwavy way of saying that only your undergrad grades are included in the GPA calculation. If your undergrad cGPA is significantly lower than their medians, then the GPA is probably the issue. If you are not interested in any school but Oz, it's worth emailing them asking if they will include post-bachelors undergraduate grades in the GPA calculation. If they will, then you can take one or two more years of continuing education and get good undergrad grades under your belt before you apply again. It's up to you to determine whether the opportunity cost is worth it. If they don't include post-bachelors undergrad grades in the GPA calculation, or if you're not dead set on Oz, then you can try applying more broadly across Canada. If your undergrad grades are higher in your last two years of study than they are in your cGPA, then you may consider applying to L2 schools like UCalgary and some others -- these schools use only your last two years of undergrad in calculating your GPA. I believe UAlberta also considers your graduate grades, which would be good given your performance in grad school. Of course, these recommendations are contingent upon your willingness to go to law school outside of Ontario. 

Thanks! This is helpful. Unfortunately I'm somewhat stuck in Ontario (preferably at Oz) due to my custody agreement for my son. I like the idea of asking them about inclusion of post graduate grades in the GPA. I'll try that when I ask for feedback! 

Renerik
  • Law Student
9 hours ago, GoatDuck said:

Emailing the adcoms will probably not give any concrete reasons why the application was denied

Osgoode is a bit unique. In previous cycles (including the most recent one), they provided personalized feedback to unsuccessful applications upon request. 

• Like 2

KIln22
  • Applicant
19 hours ago, charlie1988 said:

I know someone who got into Osgoode a few years ago. She was rejected her first cycle and they gave her some generic feedback but she got in her second attempt. I did get an email eventually that said something about feedback not being given until the end of the cycle. So might be worth a shot then.

Thanks! This is helpful. Unfortunately I'm somewhat stuck in Ontario (preferably at Oz) due to my custody agreement for my son. I like the idea of asking them about inclusion of post graduate grades in the GPA. I'll try that when I ask for feedback! 

20 hours ago, GoatDuck said:

Cheers, that's helpful, thank you!

• 1 month later...
blue134
  • Applicant
22 minutes ago, insertcreativename said:

Rejected this morning via email. Portal dated yesterday May 9

Do you mind sharing your stats??

insertcreativename
3 hours ago, blue134 said:

Do you mind sharing your stats??

LSAT: 165 CGPA: 3.4; L2: 3.7

futurelawyer2023
  • Law Student

saw the rejection on oasis today, dated may 10. 

OLSAS cGPA: 3.71 (including winter marks)

L2: 3.87

LSAT: 158

• Hugs 2

• 2 weeks later...
Monophobia
  • Law Student

R by email at 9:27am today. Was not in wait pool. 

cGPA: 3.55

L2/B2: 3.78

LSAT: 161

• Ryn pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Nicky
  • Applicant

That sounds personal with those scores...

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/supreme-court-sets-new-limits-affirmative-action-programs/story?id=99230954

Edited by Nicky

Do you intend to append every single post you make here with that link?

Also, you are aware that an American decision doesn’t apply to Canadian law schools, right?

• Like 5

GoBigOrGoHome
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, Hegdis said:

Do you intend to append every single post you make here with that link?

Also, you are aware that an American decision doesn’t apply to Canadian law schools, right?

And the Canadian Charter plus many provincial human rights codes (haven't reviewed them all to know for sure) have exceptions for affirmative action programs. 

We are not the USA. 

Yogurt Baron

22 hours ago, Nicky said:

And I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a law school admissions decision from March might not have been made in response to a court decision made the following June.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

• Ryn locked this topic
  • Renerik unpinned this topic