Invited for Interview - Osgoode 2023

lucieux

lucieux
  • Applicant

Hi guys,

I checked my OASIS portal today and noticed that on March 2, my application was updated to say the following:

"After reading your file, we would like to invite you for an interview with members of the Admissions Committee. We will contact you soon to arrange the interview and provide further details."

I did some searching and found out that most who get these invitations are mature students, but I am not. Has anyone done an interview before? Is this good or bad? Also this was nearly a month ago, should I follow up? Grateful for any insight at all!

• Like 1

Turtles
  • Law Student
On 3/29/2023 at 5:28 PM, lucieux said:

Is this good or bad?

It means they reviewed your file, decided they couldn't admit you based off your application alone, but might be able to admit you with more information that may come out in an interview setting. So it certainly is better than being rejected and asked to re-apply next year, but whether this will turn into anything depends on how you interview and what you have to say. 

I did some searching and found out that most who get these invitations are mature students, but I am not. 

They're likely looking to hear more about (1) your work experience, (2) your volunteer experience, (3) your character, and (4) any barriers that have adversely affected you or your studies (e.g., disability, socioeconomic status, family, discrimination, etc), all with a view to determining whether you would make a strong student or lawyer in a way that your application may not convey (e.g., whether your grades may be low but you have a track record of success that should be given weight instead). You will probably want to highlight your accomplishments with emphasis on resiliency (what you have managed to do despite barriers) and how these accomplishment demonstrate you have the right potential to make a good law student/lawyer. 

Start by thinking of what they may be concerned about (e.g., overall low grades or a couple specific bad grades), how you might honestly explain what happened (e.g., dealing with trauma, was sick, was undiagnosed, was working during studies due to socioeconomic status, etc), and then how you may convince them you still have demonstrated the necessary aptitude (e.g., high performance in athletics or an extracurricular, upwards trend in GPA after treating an underlying disability, had a wake up call and started putting in enough effort to receive awards, have put in the work after grad to see rapid career progression, etc).

Also this was nearly a month ago, should I follow up? Grateful for any insight at all!

If they haven't reached out and you haven't yet followed up, it's reasonable to do so. Others on Discord have also had this pop up and haven't been contacted yet. But if you've already been told to wait for them to reach out, don't be annoying. At the end of the day, your goal (presumably) is to impress them and make them like you enough to give you a shot despite whatever may be holding back your application (e.g., cGPA, LSAT, etc).

• Like 1

lucieux
  • Applicant
On 3/30/2023 at 8:33 PM, Seansei said:

Nice! Good luck. Stats?

Thank you. cGPA 3.06, LSAT 157

On 3/30/2023 at 9:22 PM, Turtles said:

It means they reviewed your file, decided they couldn't admit you based off your application alone, but might be able to admit you with more information that may come out in an interview setting. So it certainly is better than being rejected and asked to re-apply next year, but whether this will turn into anything depends on how you interview and what you have to say. 

They're likely looking to hear more about (1) your work experience, (2) your volunteer experience, (3) your character, and (4) any barriers that have adversely affected you or your studies (e.g., disability, socioeconomic status, family, discrimination, etc), all with a view to determining whether you would make a strong student or lawyer in a way that your application may not convey (e.g., whether your grades may be low but you have a track record of success that should be given weight instead). You will probably want to highlight your accomplishments with emphasis on resiliency (what you have managed to do despite barriers) and how these accomplishment demonstrate you have the right potential to make a good law student/lawyer. 

Start by thinking of what they may be concerned about (e.g., overall low grades or a couple specific bad grades), how you might honestly explain what happened (e.g., dealing with trauma, was sick, was undiagnosed, was working during studies due to socioeconomic status, etc), and then how you may convince them you still have demonstrated the necessary aptitude (e.g., high performance in athletics or an extracurricular, upwards trend in GPA after treating an underlying disability, had a wake up call and started putting in enough effort to receive awards, have put in the work after grad to see rapid career progression, etc).

If they haven't reached out and you haven't yet followed up, it's reasonable to do so. Others on Discord have also had this pop up and haven't been contacted yet. But if you've already been told to wait for them to reach out, don't be annoying. At the end of the day, your goal (presumably) is to impress them and make them like you enough to give you a shot despite whatever may be holding back your application (e.g., cGPA, LSAT, etc).

Thank you so much, this has been extremely helpful! The first part makes sense; my stats alone are not quite high enough for their typical entrance but I do have pretty good ECs and I think my personal statement was also well-written. I'll do my best at the interview and update this thread when I have.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 12:12 PM, lucieux said:

Thank you. cGPA 3.06, LSAT 157

Thank you so much, this has been extremely helpful! The first part makes sense; my stats alone are not quite high enough for their typical entrance but I do have pretty good ECs and I think my personal statement was also well-written. I'll do my best at the interview and update this thread when I have.

May I ask if you have done the interview and the outcome? I just received an invitation. So nervous.

xmlt
  • Applicant

Same, just received the interview invitation. I asked someone on Reddit and this was their response "It was a zoom interview. In the email invitation, you will get a list of sample questions to help you prepare" 

Hope this helps and good luck! 

3 hours ago, xmlt said:

Same, just received the interview invitation. I asked someone on Reddit and this was their response "It was a zoom interview. In the email invitation, you will get a list of sample questions to help you prepare" 

Thank you!Good luck!

lucieux
  • Applicant
On 4/21/2023 at 12:37 PM, mmma said:

May I ask if you have done the interview and the outcome? I just received an invitation. So nervous.

Hi! My interview is this week, I will update once I have had it. I'm nervous too! but we'll be perfect ❤️

On 4/21/2023 at 1:46 PM, xmlt said:

Thank you! Have you had yours yet?

Edited by lucieux
replied to wrong thread

xmlt
  • Applicant
On 4/24/2023 at 2:20 PM, lucieux said:

Thank you! Have you had yours yet?

Mine is scheduled in a couple weeks! Best of luck to you 

LawB
  • Applicant

Hello Xmlt, 

I noticed that my portal changed on April 20. Did yours change on the same day? When did you receive the email for the actual interview? I'm still waiting. 

Thanks!

xmlt
  • Applicant
17 minutes ago, LawB said:

Hello Xmlt, 

I noticed that my portal changed on April 20. Did yours change on the same day? When did you receive the email for the actual interview? I'm still waiting. 

Thanks!

Hey!

I got the notice on my portal April 18 and got the email for an interview date on April 24th. The interview is scheduled in two weeks.

lucieux
  • Applicant

Hi guys,

I checked my OASIS portal today and noticed that on March 2, my application was updated to say the following:

"After reading your file, we would like to invite you for an interview with members of the Admissions Committee. We will contact you soon to arrange the interview and provide further details."

I did some searching and found out that most who get these invitations are mature students, but I am not. Has anyone done an interview before? Is this good or bad? Also this was nearly a month ago, should I follow up? Grateful for any insight at all!

Hi everyone, here is an update: I had my interview on April 27 and received my admissions letter today May 1. Thanks to all who gave their input and goodluck to those waiting to be interviewed!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
paChau77
  • Applicant
On 4/26/2023 at 5:52 PM, xmlt said:

Hey!

I got the notice on my portal April 18 and got the email for an interview date on April 24th. The interview is scheduled in two weeks.

Hey, wondering if you've had your interview yet and did they provide any updates?