Passy Housing

osgoode2323

osgoode2323
  • Applicant

What would be the most ideal and economical living option? If on residence, which buildings are most recommended? 

I mean, I can't say I've really scanned the market or anything, but it is hard to beat living on campus. 

Passy is, in my view, the best place to be on campus. I think I've posted a few other times explaining why but in a nutshell it has good value and unbeatable proximity to the school. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
JimmyMcGill
  • Law Student

Passy for 1L for the rest of it, if you live on the west side of the subway line the commute is much more manageable.

osgoode2323
  • Applicant

I'm applying for housing and I have to rank these living choices, how would you rank these: 

Passy

Osgoode Chambers

Atkinson

Assiniboine

whereverjustice
  • Lawyer

Osgoode Chambers is part of Passy. The only reason I can think of why someone might prefer non-OC Passy would be if you were really worried about your life being taken over by law and so you'd prefer to have neighbours that aren't law students. But FWIW I think the benefits of having your classmates as neighbours vastly outweigh that 'downside'. Passy over Assiniboine is a no-brainer IMO. (The main knock against Passy is 'thin walls' with sound transmission but I did not experience that issue at all.)

Atkinson vs Assiniboine is unfurnished vs furnished so I'd think that would be the main consideration as between those two. If you are somehow indifferent when it comes to furnishings, I think Atkinson would be preferable from a location standpoint, and (based on what I've heard) the quality of the building. 

I lived in a one-bedroom (not bachelor, not "large 1 bedroom") and found it quite spacious for one person and adequate for two.

(Caveat: I moved out 12 years ago)

Edited by whereverjustice
  • Like 1

ZineZ
  • Lawyer
19 minutes ago, whereverjustice said:

Osgoode Chambers is part of Passy. The only reason I can think of why someone might prefer non-OC Passy would be if you were really worried about your life being taken over by law and so you'd prefer to have neighbours that aren't law students. But FWIW I think the benefits of having your classmates as neighbours vastly outweigh that 'downside'. Passy over Assiniboine is a no-brainer IMO. (The main knock against Passy is 'thin walls' with sound transmission but I did not experience that issue at all.)

To build on this - unless you have no choice, I would NOT do Passy over the OC section. Undergrad students have vastly different lives and schedules - so you may end up with much noisier neighbours. I found the law students side to be much better on that front (except for about 3 months, where I had a neighbour who really liked bassy music at 2 AM).

osgoode2323
  • Applicant
17 hours ago, luckycharm said:

hard to beat 5 mins walk to class.

One bedroom for me and I had my own foam mattress

which building were you in? 

Turtles
  • Law Student

You just have to cross the street and not get hit, like a game of frogger (I'm told there's a crosswalk now to cut down on the lazy jaywalking)

Ethereum Maxi
  • Applicant

how competitive is Osgoode housing? I still haven't firmly accepted my offer 

Dnian
  • Law Student

If you go with Passy, I recommend applying for the "large" layout if you aren't super sensitive to cost. For the $200 extra, as opposed to a tiny room, you get a two story layout with a bedroom upstairs and a living room/kitchen downstairs (it's called a "split"). 

I recommend Passy for the community as well. Especially since most folks living there moved elsewhere to attend 1L, it's a great way to form a network of friends. I definitely recommend. 

Only caveat is that wifi and maintenance issues can be frustrating (the units are nice for student housing but it's still student housing). However, the library is open until 10pm (11pm during finals) and it is literally 2 mins away if there are ever wifi outages. 

Dnian
  • Law Student
On 3/27/2023 at 2:21 PM, ZineZ said:

To build on this - unless you have no choice, I would NOT do Passy over the OC section. Undergrad students have vastly different lives and schedules - so you may end up with much noisier neighbours. I found the law students side to be much better on that front (except for about 3 months, where I had a neighbour who really liked bassy music at 2 AM).

just to follow up on this - while I agree about living near undergrads being undesirable, there is literally no difference between regular Passy and OC. Passy and OC are interconnected and share the same laundry room and common spaces. The units look identical!

Also, no undergrads live in the Passy complex. It is graduate housing, so it's exclusively Grad students + law students only. all of my neighbours except one at Passy attend the law school. don't worry about being too adjacent to undergrads. Good luck deciding!

On 3/27/2023 at 1:46 PM, osgoode2323 said:

Also, which room configuration did you go with? Was it enough space for you? 

go with 1BDR Large if youre applying to Passy or OC. It's slightly more expensive but you get two floors - bedroom/bathroom upstairs plus living room and kitchen downstairs. whereas the studio is basically just a single room for only $200 less.

ZineZ
  • Lawyer
49 minutes ago, Dnian said:

Also, no undergrads live in the Passy complex. It is graduate housing, so it's exclusively Grad students + law students only. all of my neighbours except one at Passy attend the law school. don't worry about being too adjacent to undergrads. Good luck deciding!

go with 1BDR Large if youre applying to Passy or OC. It's slightly more expensive but you get two floors - bedroom/bathroom upstairs plus living room and kitchen downstairs. whereas the studio is basically just a single room for only $200 less.

Huh, TIL. Thanks for the correction, I thought undergraduate students were allowed in Passy.

Though - 1BR and 1BR Large are two different things (1 BR Large costs even more). 1 BR is two floors in many units, 1 BR Large is gigantic and there's only a very small number of them. Lived in both. Very difficult to get the 1BR Large - but absolutely worth it if you can. 

• Like 2

ZineZ
  • Lawyer
On 3/31/2023 at 7:30 PM, whereverjustice said:

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm going to pin one and merge them. 

• ZineZ changed the title to Passy Housing
RMSC2000
  • Applicant
On 3/31/2023 at 1:39 PM, jomar said:

Just got offered housing at Passy Apartments. Should I take it? Is it good? I want to be close to the building. 

When did you apply? I applied for OC and Passy and haven't heard anything yet

32 minutes ago, RMSC2000 said:

When did you apply? I applied for OC and Passy and haven't heard anything yet

I applied in January and got an offer April 1 and I accepted it. 

• 2 weeks later...
SNAILS
  • Law Student

Passy / OC run out of space pretty fast. I'm actually surprised you guys are even getting offers to move into Passy. There are 2Ls and 3Ls that are waitlisted and can't get into Passy.

They must either be setting apartments aside for 1L's, out it's a glut of people moving out right now (and spaces will be full by July?).

I live in a small bachelor in OC.