Looking for an apartment. Should I take what I have or keep holding out?

Hopeful709

Hopeful709
  • Applicant

I just started my apartment search because I will be moving with a dog. The only apartments I have been able to find are a  decently priced studio and a $2000+ 2 bedroom. I am wondering if I should take the studio or hold put for a one bedroom? Everything on market place is either a sublet or a lease starting right now and I will not be moving to the area until August.  

spookynoodles
  • Applicant

I currently live in Fredericton and finishing my undergrad at unb. I have moved 4 times in the last 3 years so I'd like to think I know a little bit about the renting situations here. Majority of the good places that get listed are gone within a couple days and sometimes even just a few hours all on Facebook marketplace. You can get lucky by calling the rental companies in the area and asking to be put on a list for something that comes up. For me, every place I was able to secure I caught the listing on Facebook within a couple of hours of it being posted, to be moved into no later than a month and a half-ish away and either scheduled a viewing for the next day or I had to put down a deposit right then and their before they went on to the next person. For some added context on what I am about to recommend, I currently live in a 3 bedroom that I pay $1000 a month without utilities (which are about $250 a month), and I lived in a bachelor before this for $930 including utilities.

Having said that, I recommend you wait until August comes a little closer. That is when all of the student leases end and although demand is high, if you are consistently checking Facebook for new listings you will get something really good. If you would like you can DM me with questions about rental companies and living in different areas of the city, or really any other questions you may have and I can help in any way that I can.

• Like 2

Skipper6
  • Law School Admit

Just keep consistently checking rental company websites! Thats what I did and was able to find something with statestreetproperties.

Goodluck!