Law School trial and error...

thetrollfromabove

thetrollfromabove

I am born Canadian and naturalized Norwegian. Educated in the French AEFE schools after grade 1, 2 and 3 in Québec. Briefly attended Gymnas in Norway at 16 during autumn 2009. Worked sales in retail and had the realization I wanted to become a lawyer. Went back to French AEFE school and did première in Norway and terminale in France. Made a mistake via APB in 2015 went I got my BAC Français Général série L and I applied to Law School, as in Faculté de Droit but in economics. Dropped out after one day and took philosophy classes at the University of Paris for 2 years while attending business school (ISG). Was getting harassed by a girl I had found on Tinder and was suggested to move back to Norway and live with my aunt. Tried drama. Worked private security. Went back to Québec. Did a workshop in drama at the National Theatre School on Shakespeare and started a law certificate. Was "interdit de campus" after a couple of months and charged criminally by the University. Not going into the details here but went to jail one night, breached my conditions, went back to jail, got evaluated in forensic psychiatry by a male shrink, was deemed responsible of my actions, breached my conditions again, was reevaluated in forensic psychiatry by a female shrink, got a psychosis diagnosis and was sent back home. Was under the TAQ-CETM for 3 years until I was liberated without conditions. Moved to a small village in order to go to CEGEP and make a documentary about mental health, came back home after one semester and worked as a travel agent, missing one editing class in order to make my movie. Currently readmitted to the law certificate with a different University, doing an law introduction class as we speak and finishing a microprogram in investigation at CEGEP level. I'm also finishing a multidisciplinary certificate with TELUQ where I only have a philosophy class left to finish in the program. Considering getting my BA in philosophy at UQAM. I have one semester completed with a 2.3 GPA.

Do I have a chance of getting into Law School in Ontario ? I know my GPA is low but I can work on it. I'm currently 30. No criminal record. One bankruptcy at 21. In the process of getting a French passport. IQ tested at 18 with Anglophone WAIS-IV was 133 and then 20 with Francophone WAIS-IV was 147. I'm a very fast learner. I try to understand the whole scenario before jumping to conclusions. Waiting for my BA before I do the LSAT.

Edited by thetrollfromabove
  • LOL 3

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

First of all, it is admirable that you have pursued various educational and professional opportunities despite facing multiple challenges along the way. Your unique background and experiences may actually be an advantage in the eyes of some law schools, as they value diversity and resilience in their applicants.

However, it is important to acknowledge that your academic record, particularly your current 2.3 GPA, may pose a challenge in being admitted to law school in Ontario. Law schools typically place a significant emphasis on academic performance, particularly in the latter years of undergraduate studies.

That being said, there are still some steps you can take to improve your chances. Firstly, continue to work hard to improve your GPA and maintain good academic standing in your current programs. Consider seeking out additional academic support resources, such as tutoring or study groups.

Secondly, focus on building a strong application package that highlights your unique experiences, skills, and achievements. This can include volunteering, internships, work experience, leadership roles, and extracurricular activities. Be sure to craft a compelling personal statement that showcases your motivation and potential as a law student and future lawyer.

Lastly, taking the LSAT and scoring well can also greatly enhance your application. Consider investing in LSAT preparation materials or courses to help you achieve your best possible score.

Overall, while there may be some challenges to overcome, it is certainly possible for you to pursue a career in law in Ontario. Keep working hard, stay motivated, and don't hesitate to seek out additional guidance and support as needed.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

soundofconfusion
  • Law Student

17 minutes ago, GoatDuck said:

First of all, it is admirable that you have pursued various educational and professional opportunities despite facing multiple challenges along the way. Your unique background and experiences may actually be an advantage in the eyes of some law schools, as they value diversity and resilience in their applicants.

However, it is important to acknowledge that your academic record, particularly your current 2.3 GPA, may pose a challenge in being admitted to law school in Ontario. Law schools typically place a significant emphasis on academic performance, particularly in the latter years of undergraduate studies.

That being said, there are still some steps you can take to improve your chances. Firstly, continue to work hard to improve your GPA and maintain good academic standing in your current programs. Consider seeking out additional academic support resources, such as tutoring or study groups.

Secondly, focus on building a strong application package that highlights your unique experiences, skills, and achievements. This can include volunteering, internships, work experience, leadership roles, and extracurricular activities. Be sure to craft a compelling personal statement that showcases your motivation and potential as a law student and future lawyer.

Lastly, taking the LSAT and scoring well can also greatly enhance your application. Consider investing in LSAT preparation materials or courses to help you achieve your best possible score.

Overall, while there may be some challenges to overcome, it is certainly possible for you to pursue a career in law in Ontario. Keep working hard, stay motivated, and don't hesitate to seek out additional guidance and support as needed.

This is good stuff and I don't really think you're wrong about any of this, but I think you slightly undersell the "pose a challenge" aspect of those grades.

OP, you need to kill it in undergrad from this moment on to have a shot. If that 2.3 represented your honest best efforts, there weren't any extenuating circumstances, and you don't do better from now on, you might want to consider that law school honestly might not be a particularly great fit. You also need to do well on the LSAT. You sound like an interesting person who has been through a lot of stuff and has a compelling story to tell. This can definitely help, but you still need to have a way to show an admissions committee that you'd succeed in law school. Ultimately, your cGPA and LSAT are going to be the most important determinants of that.

Edited by soundofconfusion
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

So you have a criminal record with a history of not following court orders (being expunged doesn't matter for law society purposes), a bankruptcy, and a serious mental health diagnosis. And your first thought is, "man, I should be trusted with life-altering decisions for other people?"

• Like 1

Diplock
  • Lawyer

I think ChatGPT has evolved to the point that it's now trolling other sites. Once it learns how to choose usernames better, we're really screwed.

• LOL 1

• 3 weeks later...
thetrollfromabove

For the record, no I don't have a criminal record. The psychosis diagnosis was more or less a get out of jail card! 

Went bankrupt in order to finish high school.

As for the court stuff, the language they used was lacking syntax (I'm very autistic about French language) and had grammar-spelling mistakes.

Currently waiting for the CDPDJ to analyse and investigate what actually happened.

I can get into law school in Norway and France (was admitted) but am considering Canada for personal reasons. 

Edited by thetrollfromabove