UNB vs USask vs TRU

vancitylaw

vancitylaw
  • Applicant

I've been accepted to these three but am unsure where to attend. I plan on practicing in British Columbia. I do have a strong legal background as I've been a legal assistant for seven years now so luckily I have some connections but I don't want to rely on just that. Ideally, I'd like to pick the school that will benefit me the most in terms of both education and opportunities.

Any feedback and input would help! 

Thank you a ton. 

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer

It's going to be much easier to attend bc specific networking opportunities if you are already in BC. 

• Like 2

HarryCrane
  • Articling Student

General advice is to go to the school in the province you want to practice in, so TRU is going to be the best bet. Next best is likely USask.

6ixlaw2021
  • Lawyer

I'd recommend going to school in the province you plan to practice in, so for you it would be TRU 

Asian Jim
  • Law Student

Just like what others have said, TRU is def the way to go out of these options. However, I would also consider taking a year to retake your LSAT and apply again for UVic/UBC since your GPA is so good based on what you said in your other posts! Employment/Clerkship outcomes at UVic/UBC are going to be much better and the tuition is also much lower. Otherwise, def go with TRU out of these 3.

• 1 month later...
Counsel
  • Lawyer
On 4/23/2023 at 7:22 PM, Asian Jim said:

Just like what others have said, TRU is def the way to go out of these options. However, I would also consider taking a year to retake your LSAT and apply again for UVic/UBC since your GPA is so good based on what you said in your other posts! Employment/Clerkship outcomes at UVic/UBC are going to be much better and the tuition is also much lower. Otherwise, def go with TRU out of these 3.

I would take the last sentence from the above post with a grain of salt. TRU students place competitively in terms of employment. I have come to notice that most of these comments (that somehow if you attend TRU you will have a difficult time getting jobs) come from law students . I am a lawyer at a downtown Vancouver law firm with 45+ lawyers and can confirm, based on my experience, that TRU law students place well and are competitive for summers/articles. This negative stigma for attending TRU some people on this forum keep referring to is, in my view, simply not real. 

To answer your original question, it is prudent to attend law school in the province you intend to practice in. 

• Like 1