Dal vs Osgoode

cowtownballplayer

cowtownballplayer
  • Applicant

Basically, I have come to the decision that DAL would be more fun and a better social life (likely) and Osgoode would likely lead to better employment opportunities I do like the experiential learning much more at Osgoode. Right now I am leaning towards criminal law, though I have interests in criminal and especially torts law. Any insight would be very helpful. 

Thanks!

Given your areas of interest, I don't think going to Dal will really hurt your career oppertunites.

If you'd prefer spending three years there you should go for it. It might be a little harder for you to network with the local bar (assuming you want to practice in Ontario) but you can overcome that with a bit of legwork. 

• Like 1

cowtownballplayer
  • Applicant
20 hours ago, cowtownballplayer said:

Basically, I have come to the decision that DAL would be more fun and a better social life (likely) and Osgoode would likely lead to better employment opportunities I do like the experiential learning much more at Osgoode. Right now I am leaning towards criminal law, though I have interests in criminal and especially torts law. Any insight would be very helpful. 

Thanks!

20 hours ago, LMP said:

Given your areas of interest, I don't think going to Dal will really hurt your career oppertunites.

If you'd prefer spending three years there you should go for it. It might be a little harder for you to network with the local bar (assuming you want to practice in Ontario) but you can overcome that with a bit of legwork. 

Sorry, the second criminal should be corporate! Exams are making me a little un focused, my bad!

Goblin King
  • Law Student

I was in a similar boat to you. About half of Dal's class is from Ontario and intends to return there. The big firms Toronto and Vancouver firms are pretty active in recruiting out here, and Dal students tend to punch above our weight in OCIs, both in Toronto and elsewhere. Halifax has an excellent pace of life, and I've met lots of people I've come to think of as lifelong friends. That said, the double-edged sword of marketing itself on collegiality means that the school can be a bit insular and cliquey. Because everyone is from elsewhere, most people's social circle is comprised solely of law students; there's no real ability to lose yourself in the crowd -- I ran into 3 classmates doing errands today alone.  Additionally, Dal has fewer courses, pro bono placements,  clinics, and moots than Oz. However, competition for extracurriculars tends to be less fierce than I've heard about elsewhere. With the exception of maybe the Sopinka Cup, I can't think of anyone who applied for a moot, pro bono placement, or clinic that didn't get something, even if it wasn't their first choice. However, as someone not being sure of what they want to do,  the breadth of opportunities at Oz might be something to consider. That said, I would choose Dal over Oz again in a heartbeat. 

• Like 1

SNAILS
  • Law Student

I go to Oz. It's a great cooperate law school (business, tax, trusts, etc) but it's not really a crim focused school.