How detailed do Access category claims need to be?

greencupcake

greencupcake
  • Undergrad

Hi everyone! I am hoping to apply for the 2024 cycle. I would like to apply to the Access category for some schools that have it, and I was wondering, for those who went through the process, how detailed were you in your explanation and documentation? Do you need to disclose the type of issues you were facing in your application, and is the physician/psychiatrist supposed to as well? For context, I had been suffering from some depressive and ADHD-like symptoms, as well as anxiety. I was given medication for this and I'm doing much better, and the trend can be seen on my transcript/ECs. However, other than pointing this out to them, do I need to be very detailed in explaining to them what I was going through? Or is saying I had suffered from some disruptive mental health issues which are now addressed and better managed (with the documentation from my psychiatrist included) sufficient? 

Thank you! 🙂 

Edited by greencupcake

• 3 weeks later...
SpaceTigerX

Hello, 

I am in the same situation as you, with the same issues. From the research I've done on these categories, it's very important that you thoroughly explain what you went through and the impact it had. We must convince the admission folks that we truly experienced hardship and that it's not just us being lazy, terrible, and taking the easy way out and looking for a sympathy admission. You should include the documentation from the psychiatrist as well as your physician should provide a letter outlining the history, timelines and impact. They don't have to provide all of the details, but enough that it supports your claims. I would also reach out to the specific schools you are interested in and ask them what they need/want/are looking for. I literally emailed every law school in Canada and the US that I'm interested in and asked for details on this so that it doesn't hold up my applications. And get everything in writing (email etc), so you don't have someone say down the road on thats not what we are looking for. 

Edited by SpaceTigerX

• 1 month later...
GoBigOrGoHome
  • Law Student
On 4/21/2023 at 10:39 AM, greencupcake said:

Hi everyone! I am hoping to apply for the 2024 cycle. I would like to apply to the Access category for some schools that have it, and I was wondering, for those who went through the process, how detailed were you in your explanation and documentation? Do you need to disclose the type of issues you were facing in your application, and is the physician/psychiatrist supposed to as well? For context, I had been suffering from some depressive and ADHD-like symptoms, as well as anxiety. I was given medication for this and I'm doing much better, and the trend can be seen on my transcript/ECs. However, other than pointing this out to them, do I need to be very detailed in explaining to them what I was going through? Or is saying I had suffered from some disruptive mental health issues which are now addressed and better managed (with the documentation from my psychiatrist included) sufficient? 

Thank you! 🙂 

When I first applied to UBC I think I made the mistake of being too detailed. 

I submitted supporting documentation, and should have let that do most of the talking.

I received feedback and they wanted to know how I would contribute to the school. 

So don’t spend most of your space talking about it when you have other documents that can provide details - but do talk about it. You do also want to address how previous challenges are now managed and won’t be an issue. It doesn’t need to mean you are suddenly all done - but it can mean that you now have supports in place, know how to manage, etc. 

There needs to be some indication that you will succeed in law school and past poor performance is not indicative of future performance.

stk97
  • Law School Admit

Hey guys! I touched on it in my PS, went into more detail on the additional essay for the Access application, and had supporting documentation from 3 medical professionals. I'm going to agree with GoBigOrGoHome in that you should make sure you talk about how it will make you an asset to the school/law as a whole in the end. If you want to see my essays I am more than happy to send them to you, just send me a message 🙂 Good luck!

Patient0L
  • Law Student
On 4/21/2023 at 10:39 AM, greencupcake said:

Thank you! 🙂 

I included one sentence and zero documentation.