What is the Access category process like?

greencupcake

greencupcake
  • Undergrad

Hi everyone! I am hoping to apply for the 2024 cycle. I would like to apply to the Access category at uOttawa, and I was wondering, for those who went through the process, what was it like?

What exactly did you need to provide/choose to provide/ how detailed were you in your explanation and documentation? Do you need to disclose the type of issues you were facing in your application, and is the physician/psychiatrist supposed to as well?

For context, I had been suffering from some depressive and ADHD-like symptoms, as well as anxiety. I was given medication for this and I'm doing much better, and the trend can be seen on my transcript/ECs. However, other than pointing this out to them, do I need to be very detailed in explaining to them what I was going through? Or is saying I had suffered from some disruptive mental health issues which are now addressed and better managed (with the documentation from my psychiatrist included) sufficient? 

Thank you!  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
stk97
  • Law School Admit

Hey! I didn't apply Access, but I did Special Circumstances. I spoke about my circumstances in my general admission essay, explained a bit more in the special circumstances essay, had corroborative documentation from 2 professionals who worked with me during the period I was asking for grace on, plus additional documentation from my current medical team saying they had no concerns about my ability to succeed. I also had one of my reference's briefly touch on it and how they too had no hesitations regarding my candidacy. Access would be a little bit different as it's ongoing and not necessarily one term or year, but that's the documentation I supplied! I just wanted to give them enough information about the situation back then and how I am managing it now to succeed in law. Hope this helps and good luck!