PSLOC question

doggoford

doggoford
  • Applicant

Hello all, I'm starting law school in September and I'm beginning to plan my finances for the next school year.

It dawned on me that I might run a little short on my current savings and may need to take out some loans through PSLOC.

Before I consult an advisor, I want to know from people who have taken out loans through PSLOC: are there any major downsides to a PSLOC?

Will it affect my credit score, or will it be an impediment to purchasing a home later down the road? 

Thanks in advance!

scooter
  • Law Student

Well, downside compared to what other options?

If you need to borrow money, the psloc is typically going to give you the lowest interest rate and best payback terms.

flertalgerdal1
  • Applicant

I just received a LOC from RBC. Was pretty easy and straightforward. I will have an income during school, but they also look at "projected income" based on my course of study as a law student. Yes, they will do a credit check, and it will only be an impediment if you default or have a large Debt-to-income ratio...just like any other credit product. 

There will be no pause on repayment if you don't find a job (unlike with government loans), that's the downside.