Lawyers - is there anything you wish you would've done before articling?

sunshinecoast

sunshinecoast
  • Articling Student

The title says it all! I have about a bit of time before I begin articling. I'll be travelling for a month, which I'm looking forward to. I wonder if there's anything else you wish you had done before articling. I know this is so mundane, but I want to catch up on errands and things I shouldn't have neglected, like going to the doctor. I also want to get back into reading for fun again. Let me know any other suggestions you might have 🙂 

Case
  • Lawyer

I wish I established an exercise routine/habit before jumping into articling and work

• Like 1

Conge
  • Lawyer

Find 3-5 days a week and times of the day where you can exercise, even if it's just getting up early and going for a walk before work. Keep that habit during articling.  Start doing meal prep on Sunday so that you have 4-5 pre-made lunches for the week. Start going to bed at the same time every night, aiming for 7-8 hours every night, and read for 30-45 mins before bed instead of watching TV or looking at a screen.

These habits will pay dividends. 

• Like 4

We went to Turkey for a month. It was amazing. I would have done more of that, but my wife was working and we only had so much vacation on her side to use up. I love to travel, so am biased, but I don't see any reason to spend more than one minute of that time in your home city - you'll have plenty of time there after.

Obviously if you need to move, that's stressful and you need to build in time for that, but not "errands".

Edited by Jaggers
  • Like 1

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

Had a kid. I know that's not helpful for the intent of this thread, but man is it just harder to have one during articling or while you're a junior!

• Like 1

Maybe. We waited until I was no longer junior, and while there are benefits to that in terms of financial security, my energy reserves are not what they were before I started school/articling.

GoatDuck
  • Law Student
On 5/4/2023 at 11:14 AM, Pantalaimon said:

Had a kid. I know that's not helpful for the intent of this thread, but man is it just harder to have one during articling or while you're a junior!

I don't think my wife can wait this long!