U of C vs Alberta, hope to practice in BC

Ozymandius24

Ozymandius24
  • Law School Admit

Got accepted to both. Just wondering how much funding for Alberta compared to U of C. Seen 10k to 15k for Alberta vs few grand for Calgary. Wondering how common is that amount from Alberta and roughly how much from Calgary. Thanks for any input. 

Teejah
  • Law School Admit

My anecdotal understanding is that UAlberta may give out a bit more scholarship & bursary money than Calgary, but that definitely shouldn't be the only factor in your equation.

You should also consider the cost of tuition (higher at UofA), the cost of living (a bit lower in Edmonton), as well as the schools' opportunities and curriculums that speak to you.

Renerik
  • Law Student

With your stats, you're unlikely to get a merit based scholarship at either school. You could apply for need based bursaries (and these can range from 0-15k+), but by the time you'll get to apply the offer acceptance deadlines will have long since come and gone.

I disagree with Teejah's characterization of Edmonton, rent in Edmonton is considerably cheaper than in Calgary, especially around the universities. After you account for the ancillary fees, the scholastic costs for both schools only differs by ~500$.

Ozymandius24
  • Law School Admit
42 minutes ago, Teejah said:

My anecdotal understanding is that UAlberta may give out a bit more scholarship & bursary money than Calgary, but that definitely shouldn't be the only factor in your equation.

You should also consider the cost of tuition (higher at UofA), the cost of living (a bit lower in Edmonton), as well as the schools' opportunities and curriculums that speak to you.

It's not the only factor. I am interested in both schools and placements in BC seem about equal (I am assuming more people from Calgary take Calgary jobs than BC) but other posts indicating that in most years they have recieved 10k plus in bursaries from UAlberta has piqued my interest, compared to a few thousand from Calgary. Saving 30k+ on law school seems to tip the scales in favor of UAlberta. Given this information is garnered from only 2 posts which I can find on the topic I am wondering how likely it is to recieve bursaries on a financial need basis or if these were outliers. Thanks. 

23 minutes ago, Renerik said:

Whist
  • Law Student

Ditto what Renerik said - Calgary has gotten expensive recently. Still doable, but there's a pretty noticeable price difference between there and Edmonton now. The tuition is in a similar range.

UofA's latest prospectus says the average bursary was $9k. If similar info's been published for UofC, I'm sure you can track it down. It always depends, but if you're getting familial financial support, worked a decently paying job prior to law school, have savings, etc you're less likely to get the higher end (and vice-versa). I think I already commented on the threads you're referencing so I won't repeat that information.