U of Alberta vs. U of Manitoba (Robson Hall)

multigraincheerio

multigraincheerio
  • Law School Admit

Hi all,

I am very grateful to have received acceptances from these two schools. I am leaning toward the UofA, but am wondering if the move is worth it. Money is not a huge determining factor for me. Here are a few factors to consider:

• I would like to keep the option open to practice in MB, but am still interested in practicing in AB if I am to move away from Winnipeg (likely in Calgary). 

• Immediate family and friends are in MB.

• Will be entering a long distance relationship for the next 3 years if I make the move - my partner is willing and able to move with me after if I choose to move outside of MB long term. 

• Not entirely sure what I want to do after law school…I have a lot of ideas of what I might be interested in, but I don’t have one or two very strong preferences.

• I am very interested in the experience of moving away from home and having that independence, being a K-JD.

Here are the kickers (DISCLAIMER: I am a 0L and am primarily going by word of mouth here, I know both schools are great so go easy on me lol):

• While I realize the influence of “rankings” is marginal to none here, I am skeptical about a couple things: the course offerings at UofA vs. Robson Hall (I prefer the UofA), and what I have heard about Robson students being able to secure articles in Winnipeg. It seems as though only those in the top of the class grades wise are able to secure articles in Winnipeg, the rest go to Sask/Northern Ontario/Alberta. Anyone have any intel on this?

Any and all thoughts welcome! Thanks in advance!

Edited by multigraincheerio

• 2 weeks later...
SpaceTigerX
  • Law School Admit

So, upfront I'm a 0L and starting my admission journey. So take my opinion as you will. 

First congrats on the acceptance! 

I think the most difficult thing for you will be the long-distance relationship, depending on how long you've been together it may be easier and more feasible than a relationship that's brand new. But it really depends on you two and how much effort you put into making it work. A lot of people will discourage you from the long-distance thing possibly, I would just ignore them. OR get married before you move, divorce is a pain in the a** so people stay together longer just to avoid that... - kidding! 

Having lived in Warsaw, Athens, Winnipeg and Toronto I can tell you that the experience of living in a new city or area is amazing. You kinda get a fresh start, meet new people and etc. Even doing everyday things like going for coffee feels new. I personally HATE Winnipeg, if I could bulldoze Winnipeg I would. But, we do have an awesome restaurant scene and if you ignore the summertime construction, the weather here is awesome. 

But, another consideration (and not because I hate Winnipeg) is that Manitoba is for the foreseeable future going to be a 'have not' province. We just don't experience the same level of growth and innovation as Alberta (even with the financial situation/job decline). 

I think overall UofA will give you a further reach for post-law school opportunities than U of Manitoba will. 

But again, this is just my perspective based on the research I've done and what I am looking for. 

• Like 1

multigraincheerio
  • Law School Admit
9 hours ago, SpaceTigerX said:

So, upfront I'm a 0L and starting my admission journey. So take my opinion as you will. 

First congrats on the acceptance! 

I think the most difficult thing for you will be the long-distance relationship, depending on how long you've been together it may be easier and more feasible than a relationship that's brand new. But it really depends on you two and how much effort you put into making it work. A lot of people will discourage you from the long-distance thing possibly, I would just ignore them. OR get married before you move, divorce is a pain in the a** so people stay together longer just to avoid that... - kidding! 

Having lived in Warsaw, Athens, Winnipeg and Toronto I can tell you that the experience of living in a new city or area is amazing. You kinda get a fresh start, meet new people and etc. Even doing everyday things like going for coffee feels new. I personally HATE Winnipeg, if I could bulldoze Winnipeg I would. But, we do have an awesome restaurant scene and if you ignore the summertime construction, the weather here is awesome. 

But, another consideration (and not because I hate Winnipeg) is that Manitoba is for the foreseeable future going to be a 'have not' province. We just don't experience the same level of growth and innovation as Alberta (even with the financial situation/job decline). 

I think overall UofA will give you a further reach for post-law school opportunities than U of Manitoba will. 

But again, this is just my perspective based on the research I've done and what I am looking for. 

I really appreciate your response, that is incredibly helpful, all of it. Thanks so much! PS - I feel similarly about Winnipeg, haha. Certainly has its pros and cons.

Edited by multigraincheerio

2easy
  • Applicant

I did part of my undergrad in Winnipeg (UofM) and have lived in southern Manitoba for my childhood and multiple years as an adult. I have also lived in Edmonton for most of my adult life and had many friends go to UofA. I also did my undergrad at a different school away from my family. 

I dated two girls long distance from Manitoba well, I did my undergrad in Alberta. I regret it a lot, one was a four year relationship and the other was coming up on two years. 

If I was in your shoes, I would attend U of M. Moving away from your friends and family sucks. It is easy to get school work done and achieve high marks, but there is always a sense of loneliness. Let’s also be real here, the statistics show most long term distance relationships do not work out and like 60% last 4.5 months. 

The downsides of Edmonton far outweigh the ones of staying in Manitoba. Lastly, UofA campus is in far worst spot than UofM. It is right downtown and it is annoying to drive around. Where as UofM is far out and a bit secluded from society (especially Robson). Also, everyone here suggest to go to school in the province you plan on practicing.

UofA residence is also far way to overpriced and in most cases if I remember makes, you sign a year lease, which you most likely won’t use during the summer, if you go home (other places also will) Finding rent near downtown UofA sucks and is honestly annoying. Also most people who get a law degree and leave Winnipeg, Probably do it because Winnipeg lawyers have some of the lowest salary’s in the country if I remember right. 

If I was you I’d go to UofM. Edmonton is not much better, if at all. I’d much rather spend the dark cold nights in Winnipeg, with my family/GF. Then spending them sitting around Edmonton and FaceTiming them when I get lonely.

Only argument I would make for UofA, is I imagine it has better awards. But you’ll easily save that on rent/gas/plane tickets.

long distance relationships suck ass and are recipe for disaster. Do you really want your memories of law school to be, studying and FaceTiming your girlfriend? Because that’s what my undergrad was, and it sucked. 

Edited by 2easy
  • Like 1