Suits for Women

mirrorball

Garfield
  • Articling Student

At my articling interviews, I wore white or cream shells with a conservative neckline (a neckline akin to the one the last model has). I did not ever wear dress shirts, because I don't find them comfortable. Perhaps others have different experiences. Also, all my interviews were virtual, except for one. 

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

Oops, this is probably too late but I think a blouse or shell with a high neckline is appropriate. Make sure there's no possibility of cleavage, even if you lean over (i.e. to pick up your purse or get a pen etc). When I was interviewing, we were told we needed a collared shirt for more conservative interviews (i.e. for a Crown position) but a non-collared shirt was okay for boutique firms or whatever. I don't actually think that's the case. So long as you're wearing a neutral, high neckline shirt, without a collar would be fine anywhere. 

Your male relatives were probably telling you a collared, sleeved shirt was necessary on the off-chance you removed your jacket in an interview and you were wearing a blouse without sleeves. 

• 1 month later...
OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

I went on a shopping spree last week and updated my wardrobe, which was sorely needed. For people who are starting to build their professional wardrobe, here are some ideas:

- go to stores or a through a mall once a week just to see what's out there. You don't need to buy something every time you go, but it helps to keep building piece by piece if you see a blouse or a skirt you like and buy an item here and there instead of buying a lot all at once. Plus it helps keep your wardrobe updated if you buy 1-2 pieces a season.

- Invest in classic pieces like suits, buy trendier pieces that are a bit less expensive like blouses in the colour of the season or even skirts (i.e. midi skirts). Helps keep the wardrobe from looking dated but also makes sure your money is going into the right items that will last for years. 

- Learn what colours are flattering to you and buy pieces in those colours. If you like a colour that washes you out, look for it in an article of clothing that's not near your face. For example, if you like pink, but bright pink washes you out, try a paler softer pink. If you hate softer pink and want bright pink, try it as a skirt or a purse. 

Not all colours are equal, so if you really like blue, find out what kind of blue looks best on you. Royal blue? Dark blue (not navy)? Steel blue? Does blue-red or orange-red look better on you?

- As you build your wardrobe, keep a list of items you need and are specifically looking for. It's fine to buy a blouse or blazer when you see one you love, but unless you keep a tally, you'll end up with all blouses and only 1-2 pants or maybe all skirts and no pants. 

- If pantsuits don't work, try suit skirts. If neither work, look for sheath dresses with matching blazers. I personally have more suit skirts and dresses, but a classic pair of black pants is also great to have. I wear mine on more casual days, with a shirt and blazer (or cardigan, for real casual days).

The biggest thing is to have an idea in mind of what you want your end-goal of a wardrobe to be and try to implement in small steps. Different things will work for different people, and sometimes when you're just starting out, it will take you awhile to know what you want and what you reach for first in your closet. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
Possum
  • Law School Admit

formal footwear....

shoes have always been a problem for me.  My feet are super narrow and very long.  Depending on the brand I wear a size 11-12, so options for me are few and far between.

As a 6' tall woman in careers that have not required formal attire, I never got into wearing heels.  At more formal events I always feel self-conscious of my footwear - it's always more casual than the norm.
So, help!   Are heels necessary? Are there flats (or very low heels) that I can feel confidently formal in?
I am willing to get into low heels, too, just a little nervous about bailing at some important meeting! 

I haven't gone out to build up my wardrobe (I typically avoid all malls and shopping in general) but expect it will be all skirt suits and dresses, so the shoes will be on display.  

I'm so bad at fashion.  I really appreciate this thread, I'm actually feeling fairly confident after reading through this.

BuckDancer
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, Possum said:

formal footwear....

shoes have always been a problem for me.  My feet are super narrow and very long.  Depending on the brand I wear a size 11-12, so options for me are few and far between.

As a 6' tall woman in careers that have not required formal attire, I never got into wearing heels.  At more formal events I always feel self-conscious of my footwear - it's always more casual than the norm.
So, help!   Are heels necessary? Are there flats (or very low heels) that I can feel confidently formal in?
I am willing to get into low heels, too, just a little nervous about bailing at some important meeting! 

I haven't gone out to build up my wardrobe (I typically avoid all malls and shopping in general) but expect it will be all skirt suits and dresses, so the shoes will be on display.  

I'm so bad at fashion.  I really appreciate this thread, I'm actually feeling fairly confident after reading through this.

I would recommend loafers, ballet flats and block heels. Heeled boots are also way easier to walk in and work well for October - April. The pandemic has driven most legal workplaces more casual. I would have a go-to heel (does not need to be high at all) that you feel comfortable walking in and otherwise you are probably good with a formal-looking flat shoe. For everyday in the office heels are not necessary imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Possum said:

formal footwear....

What you need is a shoe called "Banks" from Naturalizer. Just google it. The perfect heel looking flat. I have it in different colours and it just feels SO COMFORTABLE!  

• Thanks 1

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, Possum said:

formal footwear....

Yes, flats are definitely an option so long as you look for "dressy flats". Think sleek and a bit of shine or sheen, and you don't want the toe too rounded. Keep any ornamentation (buckles, bows, ribbons) to a minimum. When you're starting out, darker colours are a great option. 

If you want to try heels, the key is to find a well-balanced shoe. That makes all the difference for making walking easier in heels, regardless of heel height. A half inch heel in an unbalanced shoe will feel terrible to walk in whereas an inch high heel in a balanced shoe will be easy.

In this case, I'd go with more expensive stores than stores like Aldo or Nine West. Try Ecco, Rockport, Cobb Hill brands. Well balanced heels and comfortable, making it very easy to walk in all day. It's better to invest in 1-2 pairs of good quality heels than 4-5 cheaper pairs. 

My trick is that once I find a pair that works, I buy them in different colours. I have a great pair of Rockport heels in black, navy, and dark grey. Also once you're comfortable in heels, it's definitely worth the hunt for a pair of nude heels. 

• Like 2

Opal
  • Law Student

Is it acceptable to wear a sheath dress with leggings? I've read that it's seen as more casual but I'm not a suit skirt person.

notnotadog
  • Lawyer
17 hours ago, Possum said:

formal footwear....

As another tall woman, I've always been a loafer girl. Wanted to give my own suggestion: I really like the Sam Edelman lorraine loafers, which you can get in basically any colour you want. They're super comfortable (no blisters out of the box at all) and I think half my office has a pair at this point. I also have a pair of the Everlane modern loafers and those have also rocked. 

• Like 1

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer
14 hours ago, Opal said:

Is it acceptable to wear a sheath dress with leggings? I've read that it's seen as more casual but I'm not a suit skirt person.

Leggings? Or opaque tights? The terminology differs from person to person so I just want to know what you mean by "leggings". 

I tend to wear nylons almost every day, except the hottest of days, and have options from very opaque tights (thick enough that if you snag them, they won't run) and very sheer nylons (aka pantyhose) which are the ones that run and ladder if you snag them. 

I've worn opaque tights with sheath dresses before, but you're right that it's a more casual look than if you were to pair it with sheer nylons (whether black or nude). Mostly because it's also hard to pair heels with tights, depending on the thickness of the tights so if you're left with flats or little boots, then it's overall a more casual look and might look a bit askew if paired with a blazer for court. But if it's just around the office or meetings with clients, then opaque tights and flats can be a good look. 

It also depends a bit on the sheath dress itself. Since you're discussing it in context of an alternative to a skirt suit, then I'm assuming you mean a more business-like dress (with a thicker, firmer wool/linen/blend etc), as opposed to a more casual one made from cotton or cotton blend. That's just another thing to take into consideration. 

You'll never go wrong with semi-sheer or sheer hose as opposed to opaque tights and you have more footwear options available to you, as well, but you can pair tights with some sheath dresses but it will most often look more casual. 

• Like 1

Opal
  • Law Student
On 8/9/2022 at 9:12 AM, OntheVerge said:

Leggings? Or opaque tights? The terminology differs from person to person so I just want to know what you mean by "leggings". 

I tend to wear nylons almost every day, except the hottest of days, and have options from very opaque tights (thick enough that if you snag them, they won't run) and very sheer nylons (aka pantyhose) which are the ones that run and ladder if you snag them. 

I've worn opaque tights with sheath dresses before, but you're right that it's a more casual look than if you were to pair it with sheer nylons (whether black or nude). Mostly because it's also hard to pair heels with tights, depending on the thickness of the tights so if you're left with flats or little boots, then it's overall a more casual look and might look a bit askew if paired with a blazer for court. But if it's just around the office or meetings with clients, then opaque tights and flats can be a good look. 

It also depends a bit on the sheath dress itself. Since you're discussing it in context of an alternative to a skirt suit, then I'm assuming you mean a more business-like dress (with a thicker, firmer wool/linen/blend etc), as opposed to a more casual one made from cotton or cotton blend. That's just another thing to take into consideration. 

You'll never go wrong with semi-sheer or sheer hose as opposed to opaque tights and you have more footwear options available to you, as well, but you can pair tights with some sheath dresses but it will most often look more casual. 

Wow! Thanks for all the advice. I'm a bit of a neophyte when it comes to fashion 😭. After doing some research, I believe what I think of as 'leggings' might actually be called joggers. They're a bit looser fit around the calves than tights (I think???). I get really uncomfortable with clothes that cling too much to my skin and form fitting cuts drive me nuts so much as they look very nice, I don't think I'll ever be a nylons person. I think the safest best for me will probably be pants suits... I do like dresses more but alas. I did find some nice dress pants at a sale downtown though so it's not all bad. Now to put off searching for blazers until my wallet recovers...

Someone else mentioned the Borrem Suit from Club Monaco. I found it looks horrible on me so it definitely doesn't fit everyone's body shape. 

My go to is aritzia's power blazer and whatever the matching pants are in black. You're supposed to dry clean your suits but I find the artizia power blazer is so thin that I can wash it by hand or in the machine on delicate cycle, and then it dries overnight. I definitely get more use out of it than my suits that I need to pick up and drop off at the dry cleaner. 

• Like 1

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer
On 8/12/2022 at 8:20 PM, Opal said:

Wow! Thanks for all the advice. I'm a bit of a neophyte when it comes to fashion 😭. After doing some research, I believe what I think of as 'leggings' might actually be called joggers. They're a bit looser fit around the calves than tights (I think???). I get really uncomfortable with clothes that cling too much to my skin and form fitting cuts drive me nuts so much as they look very nice, I don't think I'll ever be a nylons person. I think the safest best for me will probably be pants suits... I do like dresses more but alas. I did find some nice dress pants at a sale downtown though so it's not all bad. Now to put off searching for blazers until my wallet recovers...

No problem, I love fashion! Always happy to talk about it 🙂 

I understand the reluctance regarding tight fitting clothes on the bottom. Depending on your job, you could probably not wear nylons with dresses or skirts. I think the younger cohorts are wearing nylons/tights less and less. If you are going to court, I would probably still recommend them. But if your job is mostly in an office and/or meeting with clients, you could get away without wearing nylons. 

Also, some nylons are WAY better than others. Some I find incredibly constrictive and scratchy and I hate my life when I wear them. Others are so soft and supple that they feel absolutely luxurious to wear and you forget about them in about 30 seconds. So it may be worth your while - if you're interested - to try out a few pairs of the more expensive brands and see if there are any that you don't mind.

Lastly, if you really really hate anything constrictive on your legs, you're in luck because wide legged suit pants are all the rage right now. I personally wouldn't go anything as trendy as the palazzo type suit pants (mostly cause I'm cheap, so I like even my trendy pieces to not fall out of style in 3-4 months) but a more moderate wide legged pants style is something I'm after myself. Wide or straight legged pants, cute blouse, and a short blazer is a great professional, but trendy look. Only thing I'd caution against is getting too unstructured a blouse, as depending on the pants and blazer, it might read a bit "sloppy". You may want to pair a more fitted short blazer with wide legged pants. That's what I'm going to try, anyway. 

• Thanks 1

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

This has come up a few times on the earlier thread, but also in conversations with some of my friends so I thought maybe this would be a good post topic: How to Dress for Yourself within a Conservative Field. 

Law is a conservative field, fashion-wise, and images of navy suit and white shirt wearing clones seem to be what many people think/worry is the "norm". Some people love the idea of wearing suits every day but other people are worried about losing their individuality by having to dress a certain way every day. Obviously some fields and some jobs have more leeway than others, but this is a general post about how to individualize and make business attire "your own".

First, learn the "rules", if only so you know how to break them accordingly. When in doubt, wear a suit. Skirt suits were for a long time deemed the more conservative choice for women (rather than pantsuits) but at this moment in time, wear whatever works for your body type and personality. If you hate skirts, wear pants. If you hate pants, skirts it is. If pencil skirts don't work for you, try a subtle A-line skirt. If you'd rather a sheath dress + jacket, go for it. So long as it's a well fitting suit in a conservative colour, that's your starting point. Starting out in law is not the time to be too "out there", but as you get more known in your field, you have more flexibility. I believe it was @Hegdis who made the point in one thread about how an established lawyer might get away with wearing a blazer over a sundress in Court, but new calls (and articling students) haven't earned the same leeway (yet) and should suit up. It also depends on your role. If you're mostly doing office work, you may be able to be less conservative than if you are going to court. If you're meeting with clients, you can usually be a bit more flexible depending on the firm environment. Even with wearing suits every day though, there is room to branch out and find a look that's your own. 

Second, because suits are expensive, I recommend starting the wardrobe with 1-3 suits in conservative colours. Navy, dark green, dark grey, black, are all good. Even a dark blue (not navy) works. Those suits are the building blocks of your wardrobe and the dark conservative colours ensure that you won't accidentally 1) date yourself by buying something more fashionable that falls out of style in a few months or 2) stick out like a sore thumb in a way you don't want. Zara is selling suits in electric blues and pinks right now, and while I'm all for colour when done right, buying those types of suits is more for a workplace less conservative than the legal field. 

You also want to be careful about trendy cuts. Again, fashionable suits fall in and out of style, so the safest bet is a more structured suit. Unstructured blazers (like the Aritzia power blazer) are trending, but the structure mid length jacket is a classic. Same with bottoms. Pencil skirts are always a classic, but if they aren't flattering for you, a subtle A-line skirt might work. For pants, we're seeing the fall of the skinny/tapered leg style and the rise of slight flare/bootcut/straight leg/wide legged. So long as there's no extreme (i.e. no palazzo style pants), go for what works best for your body type. Typically, the straight leg/slight bootcut is the most classic style and won't date you in 1-2 years. 

Third, colour can be done! Once you have your suits, you can start playing with colour in other (cheaper) ways like blouses or shirts. I like to buy a few shirts throughout the year to keep up to date on some of the trending colours and mix and match. I'd recommend to buy colours that look good on you, though! I don't buy any yellows or purples, for instance, but I'll buy the darker colours when the fall lines drop and a few brighter colours during the spring/summer. It's an easy way to keep your wardrobe updated and express yourself. I like brighter colours, so I have a few blouses that are bright - hot pink, bright teal, coral, a navy shirt with almost a neon flower pattern, etc. - that I like wearing throughout the summer months. 

Once you start building your wardrobe, you can also invest in some less conservative coloured items, like different colours suit jackets, blazers, skirts, or pants to start to mix and match when you can. I find the best way to do that is to keep only one thing about an item less conservative. So if you're getting a floral patterned skirt, then the cut should be conservative (knee-length pencil and subdued colours). If it's a different coloured blazer, then nothing else about it should be "out there", i.e. no crazy lapels. I have a few faux leather pencil skirts and a lace pencil skirt, all in conservative colours. And I have a few structured blazers in fun colours - a white and black stripe (strictly office wear), emerald green with real sheen to the material, and a pale blue linen. 

When I'm putting outfits together, I go with one fun piece per outfit. If it's the black and white striped blazer, then the rest of my outfit is black. If it's the bright coral top, the rest of the outfit is conservative. Would I pair the two together? No. If it's the navy floral pencil skirt, then I pair it either with a subdued colour on top or something brighter to pick out the floral, but my jacket will be navy like the skirt to help keep it toned down and polished. 

Four, jewellery. Probably the easiest and most fun way to accentuate your outfit and bring in some individuality. Watches, earrings, rings, bracelets, necklaces, all great ways to express yourself. I'm a sucker for statement necklaces these days and wear them most days of the week. I have multiple piercings in one ear, so I tend to keep dainty gold earrings in if my hair is pulled up and I'm meeting with clients. But having dangly earrings, even with hair up or down, is a great look, too. It might be too much to have the statement necklace and dangly earrings, but it depends on the look. If the earrings are really big, or long, or sparkly, it might be too much. Know what toned jewellery works best for you. If you're warm toned, gold is the most flattering. Cool toned, then silver should look great. And if you're neutral toned, you can get away with wearing both. 

Five, accessories and shoes are also ways to express yourself. For shoes, being comfortable is the most important thing, especially if you're running around a lot. Heels may not be the best option, luckily flats are perfectly acceptable. If you only want to wear heels, chunkier heels are easier to walk in. Any flats should still look "dressy", i.e. not ballerina flats. Make sure they have support, too. A black pair is a must, and a nude pair of heels paired with navy is a great look. Other colours are certainly professional, as well.  A subtle pattern is great or snakeskin (hopefully faux) for an edgier look. 

Purses are an easy way to let your individuality shine. I did all my interviews with fairly bright pink tote and almost every (female) interviewer complimented me on it. A briefcase or tote is a good thing to have, especially one that can fit legal sized documents and a laptop in it. Lots of women have the briefcase, plus another bag that holds their personal items, but I was too unorganized for that and just had the one big bag. I've expanded my purses at this stage in my career, so I have some "seasonal" purses I switch out with the seasons, i.e. the bright pink bag still kicking around for summer, an olive green bag for autumn, and then the standard black bag. 

I hope this is helpful! I know when I started lawyering, I was worried about being able to be fashionable or wear the colours I love, but my fears were definitely unfounded. There's room within the "rules" to express yourself fashion-wise, for sure!

• Like 9

clipclip
  • Law Student

A few questions:

- are Apple watches considered unprofessional, even with a nice band? 

- In your experience, are there any downside to wearing sleeveless blouses underneath blazers/suit jackets? I've bought almost solely sleeveless blouses because I worry the extra fabric would make me too warm underneath a blazer. I don't intend to take the blazer off when I wear these because I have a half sleeve on one arm and prefer to keep it covered in professional settings. This is also why I won't be wearing short-sleeved blouses. So it's either wearing a sleeveless blouse under a blazer or wearing a long-sleeved blouse under a blazer and potentially becoming too hot.

- Are shoes like this okay, at least for now? (I'm an incoming 1L). I'm having a tough time finding appropriate footwear but I'd only really need it for events during first year anyway.

1574316361f608166d9a86eeb9086acd13d98fad66_thumbnail_900x.webp

clipclip
  • Law Student

Also re: dressy flats... how dressy are we talking? Are these plain black pointed-toe flats too casual for 1L events?

image_361441b1-6e0f-4c5a-9eeb-a3dd72754819_1500x.jpg.thumb.webp.c226f5d4d0bb274e64d71e7412895759.webp

Are these jewelled flats appropriate or too much? 

ECHO_MP5001_BLKVEL_1_FRONT_VIEW__29199__35352.thumb.jpg.f84246266252f4310e22f1ebdacf537f.jpg

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

@clipclip Apple watches are fine, they've become ubiquitous and don't look unprofessional. Do they look as nice as a nice watch? Opinions will differ.  

Of the shoes you posted, I'd recommend the first pair of black flats. The slightly pointed toe stops them from looking too casual, though it is hard to see what material they are but I think you'd be fine. I wouldn't recommend the jewelled flats, personally, it's a lot of "bling". The heels you posted are also fine, but not quite as dressy as pumps would be due to their tone (not quite nude, more of a beige), and the material - suede reads as more casual. Having said that, all 3 would be fine to wear. 

And nothing is wrong with sleeveless blouses under blazers. You're right that wearing sleeveless on its own would be too casual, but if you're not planning on taking your jacket off, you're fine. I tend to wear sleeveless all the time at work, with a blazer and a cardigan in my office. The blazer for client meetings and the cardigan for when the a/c is running non stop in my office. I only wear long sleeves when I'm not planning on wearing my blazer or jacket that day (i.e. no client meetings). 

• Like 1

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

One more thing:

For any outfit that you're planning on wearing, either to work, interviews, or events, make sure to wear it in advance to look for potential issues. Stand in front of a mirror and check the following:

1)  No gaping in buttoned shirts. This is easy to see in the front, make sure there's no pulling. But turn to the side and check the side view for any potential gaping. Ideally, you do this before you buy the shirt, but different bras will affect shirts. If there is gap once the shirt is home, a camisole underneath it is a good idea. 

When shopping, buy your shirts and blouses to fit the bust. If the rest of the shirt fits, great! If not, the shirt will need to be taken in at the waist so it's not too billowy. Shoulder seams should hit right at the edge of the shoulder. If they're too wide (i.e. past the shoulder, sitting on the top of the arm), the overall effect looks sloppy/ill-fitting.

2) For skirts with a back slit, get a friend or set up a camera behind you, to see how high the slit goes, especially when you're walking or bending over. I've seen too many women walking around with slits that go up almost to their butt, and I don't know if they know that's what's happening. This is happening more with high waisted skirts, it's like designers forget that the slit has to be adjusted the higher the skirt sits on the body.

3) Sit in dresses and skirts. See how far they ride up the legs, or if there is a front or side slit, see how high that goes up too, and if it's something you'll be comfortable with in interviews or meetings. 

4) I won't get into the cleavage at work debate, but regardless of where you land on it, a good rule of thumb is that whether you're standing, sitting, walking, you shouldn't need to be constantly re-adjusting your clothes to make sure they're "appropriate" or where you want them to be. I was in a meeting the other day and someone was wearing a lower cut top - no judgment - but anytime she lifted her arm or drank some water, or whatever, the neckline slipped and she'd pull it up or readjust her blazer, and it happened at least 3-4 times in a 20 minute meeting. You don't want to have to feel like constantly pulling your skirt down lower on your legs when you're sitting, or, pulling up your neckline. 

And I wish I had taken my own advice, but I'm currently sitting at my desk with a button up dress that splits up higher on the legs than I'd like when I sit 😕 I'm going to be pulling my own dress down when I sit today, which is very annoying! 

• Like 4

On 8/16/2022 at 7:52 PM, Shoober said:

Does anyone have recommendations for work appropriate flats or loafers? 🙂

Some loafers:

Madewell - The Frances Loafer - sleek and modern
Madewell - The Corinne Lugsole Loafer - don't be afraid of a bit of a thicker sole! It won't look as chunky when you actually put it on (and people are looking at your feet from above), and it'll save your shoe if you do a lot of walking outdoors and encounter the elements
Everlane - The Modern Loafer - has a bit of a classic menswear vibe to it.
Maguire - Valencia Loafer - One of my favourite Canadian brands, they make shoes that are a little more on the fun side. I think a bow like this is still very office appropriate.
Sam Edelman - Loraine - A classic loafer with a horsebit detail. As someone mentioned above, very popular and very wearable.
Matt & Nat - IVY Loafers - A nice vegan leather option.

Some flats:

Maguire - Prato Ballet flats - A grown-up ballet flat that still has a sweet bow detail.
Poppy Barley - The On-the-Go Ballet Flat - A very classic, basic flat.
Vivaia - Vienna - This is just one example of flats from this company, but I cannot recommend their shoes enough. They're made of a woven recycled plastic that still looks professional, and the material means that they're extremely comfortable and washable.
Matt & Nat - EFFIE Slingback Flats - a nice vegan leather option. If you're going to wear something that exposes your heel (or other parts of your feet), it's probably best to make sure that your feet are in pretty good shape (no crazy calluses, blisters etc. that might put somebody off. People can be weird about feet.)
Clarks - Laina 15 Buckle - A nice example of a subtle buckle detail.

Also consider --> Oxfords (lace up dress shoes):

Cole Haan - OriginalGrand Plain Oxford
Ecco - Sartorelle 25 Tailored Women's Dress Shoes
Poppy Barley - The Comeback Oxford

Some general tips, also:

• If you're going to be doing much walking outside, in the elements, steer clear of leather soles. Getting wet will damage them. It's rarer for women's shoes to have leather soles than men's, but still good to look out for especially with heritage/historic brands.
  • Embellishments can still be professional! You only have one life, wear fun shoes. However, it's best to steer clear of anything too sparkly, glittery or colourful, because that reads more formal-social-event-formal and less business-formal.
  • Don't be afraid of going beyond black shoes. Black is the Most Formal colour and is good for very formal situations like going to court, but for regular networking events and office work, a brown, burgundy, navy, dark grey, etc. shoe will also read as professional.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

@nana  ...The madewell lugsole loafer, the prato flat in cobalt, and the Vienna shoes, all just got added to cart. I've been on a shoe hunt for the past few weeks and your post was a lifesaver - thank you!! 

Edited by OntheVerge
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
epeeist
  • Lawyer

I'm a male and have no particular expertise in this area, but when I saw this somewhat tongue-in-cheek article about what business attire would work for She-Hulk (a lawyer) in both her untransformed 5'4" form and her far larger 6'7" form, quoting both the show's (female) director and also a "lingerie and fashion history expert and She-Hulk fan" I thought it fit in this topic.

https://www.polygon.com/23327033/she-hulk-costume-interview-marvel

Ultimate conclusion by the expert is despite spandex, not quite achievable IRL the way the show shows it, but could have clothes working in both forms mostly otherwise e.g. a wrap dress over a suit (I have no idea what this means...).

notnotadog
  • Lawyer
On 8/19/2022 at 10:31 AM, nana said:

Some loafers:

Madewell - The Frances Loafer - sleek and modern
Madewell - The Corinne Lugsole Loafer - don't be afraid of a bit of a thicker sole! It won't look as chunky when you actually put it on (and people are looking at your feet from above), and it'll save your shoe if you do a lot of walking outdoors and encounter the elements
Everlane - The Modern Loafer - has a bit of a classic menswear vibe to it.
Maguire - Valencia Loafer - One of my favourite Canadian brands, they make shoes that are a little more on the fun side. I think a bow like this is still very office appropriate.
Sam Edelman - Loraine - A classic loafer with a horsebit detail. As someone mentioned above, very popular and very wearable.
Matt & Nat - IVY Loafers - A nice vegan leather option.

Some flats:

Maguire - Prato Ballet flats - A grown-up ballet flat that still has a sweet bow detail.
Poppy Barley - The On-the-Go Ballet Flat - A very classic, basic flat.
Vivaia - Vienna - This is just one example of flats from this company, but I cannot recommend their shoes enough. They're made of a woven recycled plastic that still looks professional, and the material means that they're extremely comfortable and washable.
Matt & Nat - EFFIE Slingback Flats - a nice vegan leather option. If you're going to wear something that exposes your heel (or other parts of your feet), it's probably best to make sure that your feet are in pretty good shape (no crazy calluses, blisters etc. that might put somebody off. People can be weird about feet.)
Clarks - Laina 15 Buckle - A nice example of a subtle buckle detail.

Also consider --> Oxfords (lace up dress shoes):

Cole Haan - OriginalGrand Plain Oxford
Ecco - Sartorelle 25 Tailored Women's Dress Shoes
Poppy Barley - The Comeback Oxford

Some general tips, also:

• If you're going to be doing much walking outside, in the elements, steer clear of leather soles. Getting wet will damage them. It's rarer for women's shoes to have leather soles than men's, but still good to look out for especially with heritage/historic brands.
  • Embellishments can still be professional! You only have one life, wear fun shoes. However, it's best to steer clear of anything too sparkly, glittery or colourful, because that reads more formal-social-event-formal and less business-formal.
  • Don't be afraid of going beyond black shoes. Black is the Most Formal colour and is good for very formal situations like going to court, but for regular networking events and office work, a brown, burgundy, navy, dark grey, etc. shoe will also read as professional.

I really wish Cole Haan would go back to making classic women's oxfords - I have a pair I got forever ago that are kind of beat up now but I'm not a huge fan of the sneaker x oxford hybrid.