Suits for Women

mirrorball

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

If anyone loves deep, jewel toned colours for clothing, check out the stores! I'm a sucker for autumn clothes, give me all the sapphire blues, emerald greens, and cognac browns. I usually do most of shopping this time of year because it's the easiest time of year for me to find clothes in flattering colours. And after this season, it's two more seasons before I have an easy time finding clothes again. No winter or and very few spring colours for me, unfortunately, as both tend to wash me out.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before in this thread but it bears repeating: try to buy your clothes in colours that look good on you. It's an easy way to always look more polished and put together. If you're not sure what colours are flattering, think about times you may have received compliments wearing a particular colour or item. Some colours look good with our skin tones (do you have peach or pink undertones? are you warm, neutral, or cool toned?) and some colours complement our eyes (either by bringing out the colour in them or contrasting with them, like green eyed people wearing purple). The best piece of clothing will do both. 

Combining colours in outfits can be a bit tricky. Black, navy, or gray bottoms are easiest to coordinate with. Jewel tones or pastels tend to look good with all three. Brown is a bit trickier. I just bought a cognac (faux) leather skirt and am planning on pairing it with blouses in deep green, dark blue (not navy), french blue, burgundy, and cream, which are all colours that go well with my skin tone and colouring. 

mirrorball
  • Law Student

I love fall shopping as well! Cognac and emerald green are my jam.

I was at the mall this weekend to start putting together a power outfit or two for OCIs. Unfortunately, the Bay and Nordstrom both had slim pickings for blazers, and said their shipments for fall clothing wouldn't be coming in for a couple weeks. 

I've been looking around for a classic black blazer that isn't too boxy or menswear-style, which seems popular but doesn't really work for me. Would a faux double-breasted jacket, that had buttons but didn't actually button up, be okay? I saw the discussion on page two recommended against collarless blazers but I guess my question is more about where to draw the line. The jacket I have in mind looks exactly like a real blazer but without the functionality. If anyone has tips for where to shop and what to look for in finding a well-fitting blazer, I would appreciate that as well!

I've been having a hard time navigating the rules of business fashion given the loosening standards post-pandemic, wanting to play it safe for interviews, and finding clothes that work for me. 

Edited by mirrorball
Edited to avoid redundancy
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

I missed that post until now, but what you're describing sounds like it would work fine especially if the fit is more classic as opposed to boxy/menswear. Lots women's suits have blazers that are designed more for the look than to actually button up. So long as the overall look is "classic" and "polished" and not too trendy, you'll be good. 

I'm similar to you in that I can't easily wear boxy/menswear blazers or suit jackets. I've had good luck finding blazers at RW and Co (bought a gorgeous deep blue linen blazer that had matching pants but the pants looked terrible on me, so I didn't buy them), and Ann Taylor (most of my suits are from there). If you're struggling to find blazers/suit jackets that fit, make sure you're trying on the right size. I couldn't find a blazer to save my life when I was trying on suits until a sales person told me I need to mix and match. She grabbed me a size 4 sizes smaller than the one I was trying on and it fit perfectly. Turns out I'm quite small framed so my blazers are typically two - four sizes smaller than the bottom pieces. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...