How do employers view B's vs B minuses?

blech77

blech77
  • Law Student

From what I've seen, most schools curve to a B. Are B minuses seen much more negatively than a B in certain courses even though a student's overall GPA is quite decent? I find myself in this situation, where I got 4 B minuses in 1L, 1 B minus in 2L, but mostly B's and 2 As in 2L as well. Come Toronto articling recruit time, will those B minuses take me out of the running at many of the litigation firms?

Whisk3yjack
  • Lawyer

Employers will view a B minus as being a worse grade than a B. That being said, your grades otherwise seem fine and those B minuses won't take you out of the running.

chaboywb
  • Lawyer

It's impossible to predict how the recruit will go for you (as it is for anybody). It sounds like you have a fairly average transcript overall. B- grades certainly aren't a dealbreaker but they are viewed as what they are - a slightly lower grade than a B. Yours are balanced out somewhat by As. The articling recruit is competitive so apply broadly.

Edited by chaboywb

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

In my opinion, B is a not good but not bad grade, B- is a bad grade. Nothing you can do about it now, but I also think 1L grades are the most important (even for articling recruit). 

PzabbytheLawyer
  • Lawyer

The further out you go, the more you realize grades are nowhere near the deal breaker law students think they are.

Grades do matter. But so do a lot of other things. Apply to the things that truly intrigue you, and tailor your application carefully.

Apply broadly to be safe if you're not a very strong academic student, but don't feel panicked.

• Like 1

Sallyplants95
  • Lawyer

Focus on your cover letter and CV.

A B- is a B-. Nothing you can do about a set grade. The B- is outside of your control. 

But improving your CV and cover letter are within your control. Knock those out of the park.