What LSAT do I need to be a competitive applicant?

lawbarbie

Hello, 

Looking for some advice here. It looks like I wont be going to law school this year, as I have been rejected from 5 schools (Queens, Western, Osgoode, UBC, Windsor), waitlisted at Dal and haven't heard back from Ottawa.

I have written the LSAT 3 times (155,156,161). I am planning to rewrite this October/November and I am wondering what kind of lsat I need to be a competitive applicant for the 2022 cycle?

My gpa is 3.4/4 

My L2 is 3.64 

I dont have many EC's. I will have just under a year of legal experience (legal analyst). 

I will likely apply to UBC, UVIC, Calgary, Alberta, Windsor, Osgoode, Ryerson, Queens, Western, Ottawa, Dal, UNB. Anywhere that will take me!

Any help/feedback is greatly appreciated. 

99problems
  • Lawyer

Generally, above 160 is considered to be competitive. Your GPA is on the lower end, so you want your LSAT score to be on the higher one of the spectrum. I think you stand a good chance if you are willing to apply as broadly as stated.

I didn't see UofT in your choices though. I know that you don't see it happening, but I'd apply there too if I were you. You never know.

12 minutes ago, lawbarbie said:

Thank you for your response! What would be the higher end then?

Ottawa is not over for you yet.  Are you on their waiting list?

no I havent heard back from them, I also emailed them and they told me they were giving out waitlists and rejections but that was 2 weeks ago and still nothing 

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

I would guess somewhere between 165-168 since your GPA isn't great.

Edit: off topic, but I'm interested - what sort of work does a legal analyst without a law degree do? 

Edited by QueensDenning
  • Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, not not a lawyer said:

I didn't see UofT in your choices though. I know that you don't see it happening, but I'd apply there too if I were you. You never know.

I don't agree; I think that's a waste of an application fee and OP has accurately assessed that.

UofT really does not like low GPA/high LSAT splitters and after three official LSATs with a highest score of 161, it's extremely unlikely the OP will even be able to slot themselves in that category.

I would say UofT is worth a punt only if the OP were to get a 170+ LSAT (and even then to expect rejection).

Anyways OP should be able to get in *somewhere* else in Canada if they bump up their LSAT a bit.

• Like 2

Thrive92
  • Applicant

Are you GPA stats based on OLSAS?

Your L2 of 3.64 and the 161 LSAT makes you a decent candidate for U of C, TRU, U of Sask and maybe U of Alberta (but not as likely as the others).

Unless you would really like to study in Ontario, I would not sweat it unless you would like a peace of mind and absolutely guarantee without a doubt a seat in any of the law schools you mention you will be applying to

• Like 2

SNAILS
  • Law Student

Don't completely give up on this year. You still have a slim chance for Dal and Ottawa.

Best of luck next year!

My suggestions for next cycle would be to try to figure out if your references gave you the best review possible; if not, ask someone else. Redo your PS's next year with more focus on your work and life experience. Try to boost that LSAT by a few points if you can by studying hard and just retaking it a couple more times.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, QueensDenning said:

I would guess somewhere between 165-168 since your GPA isn't great.

Edit: off topic, but I'm interested - what sort of work does a legal analyst without a law degree do? 

research, creating and editing contracts, working on IP strategy etc! and then if its out of my skill set our lawyer reviews it 

thanks everyone for the feedback really appreciate it! 🙂 

• Like 1

Renerik
  • Law Student
18 hours ago, CleanHands said:

I don't agree; I think that's a waste of an application fee and OP has accurately assessed that.

UofT really does not like low GPA/high LSAT splitters and after three official LSATs with a highest score of 161, it's extremely unlikely the OP will even be able to slot themselves in that category.

I would say UofT is worth a punt only if the OP were to get a 170+ LSAT (and even then to expect rejection).

Anyways OP should be able to get in *somewhere* else in Canada if they bump up their LSAT a bit.

Gotta agree with the sanitized hands, I'd adjust your school list. UVIC/UBC are very reach with that GPA, let alone LSAT.

11 minutes ago, Renerik said:

Gotta agree with the sanitized hands, I'd adjust your school list. UVIC/UBC are very reach with that GPA, let alone LSAT.

if i were able to get a high 160 lsat would that change that?

is there anything i can do about my grades if i have already graduated?

Renerik
  • Law Student
1 minute ago, lawbarbie said:

if i were able to get a high 160 lsat would that change that?

I'd argue you'd need a 170+, if that. But much like @CleanHands said, It wouldn't be wise to plan on getting a 170+ if your highest after 3 takes is a 161. It could happen, but not a wise bet... IMO, you'd be best served by saving the ~250$ in application fees you'd be sending UBC/UVIC's way and spending some of that money on an editor to look over your personal statement for the other schools.