Is there any way to estimate a school's yield percentage?

Myo

Myo
  • Applicant

In order to get a better idea of the range where being on the waitlist is basically a rejection.

Chewy
  • Law School Admit

I am fairly certain that Canadian schools do not practice yield protection.

Myo
  • Applicant

That maybe so, but I'm trying to get some estimations for how many people receive an offer from a school and then turn it down (their yield percentage). It doesn't seem like this info is released by schools so I'm hoping we can get some estimates. IE. A school has 150 spots, and it took 220 offers to fill these 150 spots.

Teejah
  • Law School Admit

This is something that definitely varies by school. I think I saw somewhere that 50% is near the mark for a mid-tier school. So they send out approximately 300 offers knowing that somewhere in the realm of 50% will accept. You could probably talk to the admissions offices of the schools you're interested in and ask how many offers they send out. Some will tell you.

I don't know if this will help you determine your waitlist chances though. First, the waitlist is usually generated AFTER all the yield estimations are made. In many cases, all spots are "filled" and waitlists fill the gaps when applicants jump ship to other schools or programs. Second, each school uses their waitlist differently. For some it's just as described above and there is a waitlist ranking. For others they generate waitlists early and there is no ranking. Applicants are reviewed on an on-going basis and selected based on how they will compliment the existing class.

In any case, I've heard that you have about a 20-30% chance of getting in off of a Canadian waitlist. But that too is just anecdotal. 

Psychometronic
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, Myo said:

In order to get a better idea of the range where being on the waitlist is basically a rejection.

This is not a thing in Canada. You should call admissions and ask how many people typically get off the waitlist if you really want to know. 

elle.woods
  • Law Student

if this is helpful, I was ranked around #60 (can't remember exactly) last year on UBC's waitlist, and somehow I received an offer in mid-August. I'm still convinced it was a fluke given how far down I was, but it is proof it is possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chewy
  • Law School Admit
10 hours ago, Myo said:

That maybe so, but I'm trying to get some estimations for how many people receive an offer from a school and then turn it down (their yield percentage). It doesn't seem like this info is released by schools so I'm hoping we can get some estimates. IE. A school has 150 spots, and it took 220 offers to fill these 150 spots.

My mistake, I misread percentage as protection. Long day out in the sun.