1L Grades Needed for a Law-Specific Academic Scholarship

McDavid97

McDavid97
  • Law Student
9 hours ago, SNAILS said:

You need to expand on that. Which scholarship?

I'm referring to any of the awards listed here that do not have any conditions attached to them other than selection being based on academic standing. For example, the Blake Cassels & Graydon Scholarship. It was my understanding that they "match" students with such awards by ranking them based on their grades and then giving the more prestigious ones to the top students until there are no more awards left. If this was the case, I figured over time a GPA that guarantees (or gives a good chance) to get at least one of these awards would form. Alternatively, personal anecdotes would be useful. It's also possible my question is a bad one because my understanding of how they award academic scholarships is incorrect. 

Edited by McDavid97

• 2 months later...
Ribbons
  • Law Student

The 'superior academic achievement' or similar language requirement means dean's list (top 10% of students so usually 19 students every year) and, second to that, first class standing (not top 10% but 3.5 GPA or higher). If you don't have one of these titles on your transcript I would assume you are not eligible, or at the least unlikely, to get an academic based scholarship. 

McDavid97
  • Law Student
On 7/24/2023 at 5:24 PM, Ribbons said:

The 'superior academic achievement' or similar language requirement means dean's list (top 10% of students so usually 19 students every year) and, second to that, first class standing (not top 10% but 3.5 GPA or higher). If you don't have one of these titles on your transcript I would assume you are not eligible, or at the least unlikely, to get an academic based scholarship. 

Makes sense, thanks

• Like 1