I have virtually every letter grade for 1L. What to do for OCI's?

Constantine

Constantine
  • Law School Admit

Aside from D's and F's, I basically have the full spectrum of grades available at my school on my 1L transcript. My lowest grade is a C, and my highest is an A-. Everything else is a smattering of B's (B-, B and B+). Average in general is a B. Given this, should I still apply to larger firms during OCI's, or stick to mid-sized / boutiques? While I'm certainly not at the top of my class average-wise, my grades this semester improved by up to 5 percentage points compared to where I was in first semester. Never have been happier to be mid. 

Constantine
  • Law School Admit
7 minutes ago, PzabbytheLawyer said:

Apply to wherever you would like to work.

C shouldn't impact me too much? Was going to do that anyway but wanted to temper expectations. 

PzabbytheLawyer
  • Lawyer
Just now, Constantine said:

C shouldn't impact me too much? Was going to do that anyway but wanted to temper expectations. 

You honestly can't know. I suspect you'll be surprised both in terms of what interviews you do get, and what interviews you don't. Good luck!

• Like 2

Constantine
  • Law School Admit
3 minutes ago, PzabbytheLawyer said:

You honestly can't know. I suspect you'll be surprised both in terms of what interviews you do get, and what interviews you don't. Good luck!

Thank you! 

chaboywb
  • Lawyer

The way students present their grades with these questions feels like trying to decipher an LSAT question. The only way to give anything resembling a reasonable prediction is if we know (1) which school and (2) the spread of grades.

For instance: I had 1 C+, 2 B, 1 B+, 3 A- and 1 A from uOttawa a few years ago (B- are not available at uOttawa). I received a dozen or so OCIs with otherwise (in my view) average softs and work experience.

Apply everywhere you can reasonably see yourself working. No need to select yourself out. I wouldn't assume boutiques are easier to get interviews from - some are more selective than many full-service firms. I have no idea why I got interviews at some places and not others. 

• Like 1

Constantine
  • Law School Admit
6 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

The way students present their grades with these questions feels like trying to decipher an LSAT question. The only way to give anything resembling a reasonable prediction is if we know (1) which school and (2) the spread of grades.

For instance: I had 1 C+, 2 B, 1 B+, 3 A- and 1 A from uOttawa a few years ago (B- are not available at uOttawa). I received a dozen or so OCIs with otherwise (in my view) average softs and work experience.

Apply everywhere you can reasonably see yourself working. No need to select yourself out. I wouldn't assume boutiques are easier to get interviews from - some are more selective than many full-service firms. I have no idea why I got interviews at some places and not others. 

Happy to message regarding school and spread. Otherwise, sounds like good advice. Will apply broadly. I think I have average softs and work experience as well. 

39 minutes ago, Constantine said:

It might impact you, but why filter yourself out? Let the firm do that if they so choose. 

I personally think it is smart for apply broadly. Like Pzabby said, if you want to work there, apply. I know I got interviews I didn't think I'd land and rejections by places I thought I'd be a shoe in. 

• Like 2

Constantine
  • Law School Admit
41 minutes ago, LMP said:

It might impact you, but why filter yourself out? Let the firm do that if they so choose. 

I personally think it is smart for apply broadly. Like Pzabby said, if you want to work there, apply. I know I got interviews I didn't think I'd land and rejections by places I thought I'd be a shoe in. 

sounds good, and thanks for the frank response. I definitely feel like I scored higher in the courses I had an interest in, so I'll focus on firms that reflect my interests.