What are my chances of getting into law school if I have a 2.3 GPA in second year of undergrad?

Bxrb

Bxrb
  • Undergrad

Hi everyone,

I just checked my results from this semester and I got far lower grades than I was expecting thus bringing my gpa to a low 2.3, which is so embarrassing to even say. I was working two jobs during my first year and first semester of university to be able to pay for tuition but I noticed that it caused my grades to suffer. I was too busy working that I would miss assignments or not do them as best as I could so I finally quit one of my jobs. When I did I improve my grades, it felt like it was too late as it was not enough to raise my GPA to at least 3.0. I am now worried that with only two years left of undergrad, I won't be accepted into any good schools. 

My question is, what do you think I should do? Look into other job opportunities, or still try to get my gpa up and apply to law school anyway since it's something I really wanted to do?

Edited by Bxrb

danytea
  • Applicant
4 minutes ago, Bxrb said:

Hi everyone,

I just checked my results from this semester and I got far lower grades than I was expecting thus bringing my gpa to a low 2.3, which is so embarrassing to even say. I was working two jobs during my first year and first semester of university to be able to pay for tuition but I noticed that it caused my grades to suffer. I was too busy working that I would miss assignments or not do them as best as I could so I finally quit one of my jobs. When I did I improve my grades, it felt like it was too late as it was not enough to raise my GPA to at least 3.0. I am now worried that with only two years left of undergrad, I won't be accepted into any good schools. 

My question is, what do you think I should do? Look into other job opportunities, or still try to get my gpa up and apply to law school anyway since it's something I really wanted to do?

You could look into schools that use last two years, or best two years GPA.

SpaceTigerX

I would focus on the next two years and get the best GPA you can. 

If it's a health-related/hardship, you can always explain it and if they see an upward trend, it speaks volumes compared to a low GPA in year 2. 

If it's just a bad term etc, just focus on the GPA and LSAT for the next two years. 

Also, keep in mind that some schools have an access/discretionary category and they usually consider you in the general category first and then the others if you don't get in thru general. 

Oh, I forgot to mention; keep in mind that some schools will not look at your summer classes only classes in the Fall/Winter term. Also, depending on how you do, there is possibly an option for extending your degree by an extra year to compensate for the lower grades. 

I swear, its easier to apply to med school than it is to Law School. 

Edited by SpaceTigerX