french language proficiency for french schools

crinkle

crinkle
  • Applicant

hi there. was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to do in regards to the french language proficiency requirement at schools, specifically mcgill. would this make an application stand out? has anyone written the DELF/DALF outside of school (after graduating)? i'm looking into it as i am a recent grad taking a gap year to get my application together for next year's cycle. thanks in advance!

kollykibbler
  • Applicant

It wouldn't make your application stand out, but it would prevent it from being excluded in advance—French language proficiency is an increasingly stringent requirement at McGill. (That said, there're apparently lots of McGill students who don't speak French—don't be like them.) On their website, there's a long list of things you can do to prove proficiency. The DELF is one of them; I used work experience; some people have taken upper-level French courses. 

Best of luck with your applications this fall!

ellywoodsy
  • Articling Student

I didn’t apply to McGill but I passed the DALF C2 in Toronto last year. I took it at Alliance Française. I think it has helped me on job applications to demonstrate my proficiency. 

GreyDude
  • Law Student

Probably more info than OP is seeking, but possibly useful for others.

If I am not mistaken, McGill will be requiring B2 proficiency on the DELF/TEF/TCF as of the admissions cycle for Fall 2024.  B2 is basically what they call « passive bilingualism » or the ability to understand what’s going on in both French and English. Currently, they have a « softer » way of determining your French competency than a test. Until the end of the 2023 cycle they can look at your CV, give you an interview, etc., and you can submit a letter from someone able to attest to your bilingualism. The McGill policy is here: https://www.mcgill.ca/law/bcl-jd/admissions-guide/eligibility

Other (French) faculties in Quebec require stronger French language skills than McGill does, which is normal since McGill University is an English language institution even though its law school makes efforts in the direction of bilingualism.

For example, I know from experience that Université de Montréal — the university, not just the law school — will make you take the TEF (oral and written comprehension portions) if you’re not coming out of a French background (high school, cégep, other previous education). UdeM requires C1, which is full fluency (C2 is native-level), and I expect that this is typical of all Quebec schools. It is a condition of admission to the university if you were not educated in French.

As for the Law faculty at UdeM, if you take the TEF you must also take a placement test for supplemental French writing classes. I was told by the person in charge of this that this is a condition of remaining in the program once admitted, but it is not a condition of admission. I don’t know if other schools do this but it would not surprise me. It’s a very good idea, given the importance of writing in law.

Edited by GreyDude
Got a fact wrong. Fixed it!