Table of contents vs indexes for bar

Disbarred

Disbarred
  • Law Student

Is it common for students to take the bar without using any index?

The idea of bringing in 300 pages of indexes to help word search 900 pages of material seems really counterintuitive to me.

If I were to take the bar in a vacuum without any outside influence, I would approach the test by trying to reason through the answers and then looking up topics in the table of contents as needed.

However, at the same time, I don’t want to shoot my self in the foot if the index strategy is widely accepted as the best method and say 90% of students approach the test that way. 

yunglawyer
  • Lawyer

I used DTOC. I tried practice exams using indices and found that I was going down rabbit holes. Try both on practice exams and see what works better for you.

• Like 1

ruthlessfox
  • Law Student

Currently I am doing PTs and using DTOC for 80% of questions and the index only for things where I am not confident I can find the answer in the DTOC quickly enough. You don't have to commit to one method, they are both effective tools for different circumstances.

• Like 1