Leveraging Secondments to Job Offers

Birkenstock

Birkenstock
  • Law Student

Hi everyone. I recently secured a trial-level Clerkship for the 24/25 year. There seem to be secondment opportunities throughout that I hope to take full advantage of and I'm wondering how best to do so. 

I recognize that trial-level clerks aren't as hot on the legal job market as appellant level ones so I wonder whether the secondment opportunities can be looked at as launching pads for potential job offers when the Clerkship is complete? Or if I should give myself the chance to venture into areas I haven't yet been? I ask because I have pigeon-holed myself a tad bit with the summer positions I have taken and think the Articling year may be better served to broaden out if it doesn't come at the expense of future job security. I would be happy to return to the firms I have worked at during the summer (which may result in job offers post-articling anyway) but I worry about the appearance of "she only does x type of law" if I do ever wish to get out of dodge/explore opportunities. Does anyone have any experience with secondments leading to job offers/opening doors? And, if so, do you think it makes a difference either way?