Asking Current Employer About Articling

Leafsfan2671

Leafsfan2671
  • Law Student

During my interview, my employer mentioned that she is hiring the summer student in hopes of them returning to article. How to I ask my employer about an articling position before the end of the summer? What’s the best way to bring it up or ask her?

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Honestly, you just ask.

Set up a meeting with your boss at a time when her schedule is relatively clear. Go in and say that you’re starting to plan for next year, remind her that she mentioned she may have an articling position available when she interviewed you, and then say that if she is still expecting to need an articling student, you would be very interested in the position. 

She may need time to confirm or consider whether she still needs a student, so give her that time but make sure you follow up regularly. Ideally, you’d have a commitment before your summer wraps up. 

• Like 2

abogada
  • Lawyer

This was my approach: send her an email and as if you can set up a short meeting with her to discuss articling and your future at the firm. At the meeting, express how much you have enjoyed and learned from your summer and ask if there is a potential for articling at the firm. Depending on the size of the firm and how well she knows your work, be prepared to discuss your work over the summer. Don't expect an answer on the spot, but follow up if necessary.

Don't take it personally if she hasn't brought it up. Speaking as a lawyer, we are busy and are caught up in our own worlds sometimes and so it might not be on the top of her mind like it is yours. 

On 7/21/2021 at 9:55 AM, Legallyblonde94 said:

During my interview, my employer mentioned that she is hiring the summer student in hopes of them returning to article. How to I ask my employer about an articling position before the end of the summer? What’s the best way to bring it up or ask her?

"she is hiring the summer student in hopes of them returning to article" 

How many student(s) did she hire back last year and  previous years? 

Do you like working there ?

Will you be working till mid or end of August?

The size of the firm?

Edited by luckycharm