Not going to school where you want to practice?

Stella

Stella
  • Undergrad

I know the general rule of thumb is to go to school in the area you want to practice. However, I don't have that option. I still have not heard back from any Ontario schools but have been accepted at UNB. I want to end up in Ontario or even Vancouver, but at this point in my life I do not picture myself staying in New Brunswick (of course this could change, but this is the current situation).

I guess my question is how difficult is it to get jobs in Ontario when studying in Atlantic Canada? I have minimal connections in my hometown in Ontario. I am excited about the idea of going to law school at UNB, it seems like a great program and a good opportunity but I worry about breaking out into Ontario from there. If it will be super difficult, I have been accepted to a Master's program and could re-apply for next fall. Any information is appreciated! 

Chewy
  • Law School Admit

From the advice and knowledge that I’ve gathered on this site, it depends on your grades and what area of law you wish to practice. For example, certain schools place better than others when it comes to Big Law in Toronto or Vancouver. 

I know plenty of lawyers who practice in the lower mainland of BC and they went to Dalhousie for law school. 

• 3 weeks later...
ng5492022
  • Law School Admit

I am in a vaguely similar situation, and am considering transferring schools after 1L. I am open to chatting more about this if you’re interested 🙂