Does working for the provincial government look good on law school applications?

tiredlychii

tiredlychii
  • Undergrad

I recently finished my undergraduate studies and am currently taking a gap year during which I will apply to law schools. I've been looking for a job for my gap year and I got an offer to work for the provincial government as a student policy assistant. The pay isn't too high and it's not really in the field of law that I'm interested in (this position is in transportation, but I'm more interested in labour or immigration). I was wondering if this position would be a good one to take and if it would look good to law schools and possible future employers?

In a general sense a government job is a good thing on a resume in that there's usually a screening process to get most of them, and having it indicates you're responsible and willing to work. Policy assistant is also a nice sort of title to have if you end up wanting to explore public law at all.

I don't want to over-emphasize it, it's not some kind of white hart you should be hunting down, but it's a solid choice for summer work, and better than most at this stage in your life / student career.. 

• Like 2

If you can name your dream job, there is probably something we could help you figure out as a good stepping stone. If you can't name your dream job, working for any government office is a pretty good stepping stone to something different that will be fun.

If you're interested in labour law, it's really good, though there may be better things if you can get them. But all of them require you to actually be in law school.

• Like 1

LMP
  • Law Student

No harm in it. I did a couple of government gigs before law school. I don't think it really helped me much in my applications or OCIs (minus the one's with the MAG) but still, nice to have. 

There is also something called bridging, a hiring option to bring back former students without a formal competition. Which could be a huge advantage if you decide to return. Though I'll admit I don't know if there is a provincial version of this policy (my experience with it was Federal). 

• Like 1

tiredlychii
  • Undergrad
34 minutes ago, LMP said:

No harm in it. I did a couple of government gigs before law school. I don't think it really helped me much in my applications or OCIs (minus the one's with the MAG) but still, nice to have. 

There is also something called bridging, a hiring option to bring back former students without a formal competition. Which could be a huge advantage if you decide to return. Though I'll admit I don't know if there is a provincial version of this policy (my experience with it was Federal). 

Thank you for sharing your experience! I do know about bridging, but I believe that's more to do with the federal government. I know that with the provincial government students can apply to continue working beyond the summer if there's opportunity and I think can apply internally for other positions (although I'm not sure about this). If you don't mind me asking, were your government jobs through FSWEP?

4 hours ago, Hegdis said:

In a general sense a government job is a good thing on a resume in that there's usually a screening process to get most of them, and having it indicates you're responsible and willing to work. Policy assistant is also a nice sort of title to have if you end up wanting to explore public law at all.

I don't want to over-emphasize it, it's not some kind of white hart you should be hunting down, but it's a solid choice for summer work, and better than most at this stage in your life / student career.. 

Thank you for sharing your input! I have to make a decision soon, but I will definitely consider the points you've brought up as I continue thinking about this.

tiredlychii
  • Undergrad
1 hour ago, Jaggers said:

If you can name your dream job, there is probably something we could help you figure out as a good stepping stone. If you can't name your dream job, working for any government office is a pretty good stepping stone to something different that will be fun.

If you're interested in labour law, it's really good, though there may be better things if you can get them. But all of them require you to actually be in law school.

I love this angle! I know for sure that I'm interested in labour or immigration law (I would really love to work for a union) and that this position isn't the most related to that because it has to do with transportation (even though policy work with the provincial government does sound really interesting). I did get hired by a non-profit whose work aligns more with my labour and immigration interests.

I think for me the questions really are: is it better to work for a non-profit whose work aligns with my law interests or to work a government policy position? Which might look better on applications for law school and future law-related positions? I don't think I'd be able to handle both jobs, so I'd have to choose. 

Edited by tiredlychii
Adding more info about my job goals

I don't usually respond to DMs from people with 11 posts, but I do know a few things about employment law, so DM me with what you actually think you're interested in. But you have to focus it down from immigration, labour, transportation and policy work, or I probably won't be able to respond in any meaningful way!

tiredlychii
  • Undergrad
10 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

I don't usually respond to DMs from people with 11 posts, but I do know a few things about employment law, so DM me with what you actually think you're interested in. But you have to focus it down from immigration, labour, transportation and policy work, or I probably won't be able to respond in any meaningful way!

Thank you so much! Just sent you a message!

LMP
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, tiredlychii said:

Thank you for sharing your experience! I do know about bridging, but I believe that's more to do with the federal government. I know that with the provincial government students can apply to continue working beyond the summer if there's opportunity and I think can apply internally for other positions (although I'm not sure about this). If you don't mind me asking, were your government jobs through FSWEP?

No, my job with the OPS was a co-op and then my later work experience (federal) wasn't through any kind of program.  

• Like 1