Sharing compensation data on levels.fyi

Anpanman

Anpanman
  • Articling Student

A while back someone mentioned they would compile comp data but I don't think it ever got released. Lawyer comp is still a bit of a black box if you're not on Bay Street and I think the info could be useful for anyone job searching/keeping an eye on the job market. A lot of tech workers use levels.fyi to share comp data anonymously but the legal section (at least for Canada) is looking a bit sparse. Wondering if any lawyers here would be willing to share their salary/bonus/equity? FWIW I've posted on it before and it anonymized my entry - not enough people have made an entry for the company yet - so it shouldn't reveal your identity.

For in house counsel with experience, it's around 180K base salary plus 10-20% bonus target on top of that. I actually discussed salary recently with a colleague working with me on pay equity, and our salaries were pretty much identical, just over $180K. Your bonus will vary every year based on corporate results and your performance review, but will add 20% hopefully. Sometimes more, not often less. I've seen both situations. It doesn't really matter to your daily life, because that money goes straight into your RRSP anyways.

If you go up a level where you manage other lawyers, probably add $15K and a bit of a bigger bonus target.

It's less than Bay St of course, but I literally sent an email yesterday saying "I'm picking my son up at 4:30 so I'll join your call but will be on mute" which is not something I'd accept from our Bay St lawyers more than a handful of times.

I would have told them I couldn't join at all, but I'm just on the streetcar, and the alternative is answering endless questions from the kid about various bus and streetcar routes, so having an excuse not to was not bad.

• Thanks 1

I did recently do a hiring process, and American companies do seem to pay quite a bit more than the normal Canadian market, but there aren't a lot of those positions.