Chances for 2L OCI Recruit

Guest Anonymous

I just finished 1L at UVic, and I have an average of B+ (3 A-'s, 1 B+, 3 Bs). I know that having a B+ average means I will likely receive some OCIs, but I am concerned if it is enough for firms that have more selective grade requirements. Does it matter that I have a lower B+ average instead of a higher B+ average? Additionally, when it comes to big law, does it matter which courses you performed well in, such as contracts versus torts? Or am I overthinking this?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

chaboywb
  • Lawyer

To answer your last question first: Yes.

If we were to say "there are certain firms that are very picky about grades and will probably not interview a student with a low B+", would you not apply to those firms? That would be a mistake because the conventional assumptions about certain firms often turn out to be incorrect. The firms that do not offer you an OCI will seem very random. I have no idea why I got interviews at some places and not others.

Dwelling is pointless. You did great in 1L. That's the first threshold and you passed it. You will receive lots of OCIs if your materials are otherwise strong. Focus on putting together a strong application. Look forward, not back.

Edited by chaboywb

9 hours ago, chaboywb said:

To answer your last question first: Yes.

If we were to say "there are certain firms that are very picky about grades and will probably not interview a student with a low B+", would you not apply to those firms? That would be a mistake because the conventional assumptions about certain firms often turn out to be incorrect. The firms that do not offer you an OCI will seem very random. I have no idea why I got interviews at some places and not others.

Dwelling is pointless. You did great in 1L. That's the first threshold and you passed it. You will receive lots of OCIs if your materials are otherwise strong. Focus on putting together a strong application. Look forward, not back.

Thanks for the helpful advice - I really appreciate it.

I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. Looking ahead, how do you figure out which firms to apply to? I don't have a specific field of law in mind, and I have no idea which firms are good at what. Besides checking out each firm's website and talking to the Career Services Office, what are some other steps I can take to find a firm that would be a good fit for me?

chaboywb
  • Lawyer
9 hours ago, Guest Anonymous said:

I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. Looking ahead, how do you figure out which firms to apply to? I don't have a specific field of law in mind, and I have no idea which firms are good at what. Besides checking out each firm's website and talking to the Career Services Office, what are some other steps I can take to find a firm that would be a good fit for me?

I don't know. I just applied everywhere and got to know the firms during interviews. There's not much you can do to differentiate them at this stage.

4 hours ago, chaboywb said:

I don't know. I just applied everywhere and got to know the firms during interviews. There's not much you can do to differentiate them at this stage.

It's reassuring to know that it's completely normal to not know at this stage. I also didn't consider OCIs as a two-way street, similar to any other interviews. I suppose I'll apply broadly and utilize OCIs as an opportunity to learn more about the firms.

Thank you!

chaboywb
  • Lawyer
26 minutes ago, Guest Anonymous said:

It's reassuring to know that it's completely normal to not know at this stage. I also didn't consider OCIs as a two-way street, similar to any other interviews. I suppose I'll apply broadly and utilize OCIs as an opportunity to learn more about the firms.

Thank you!

I found that the in-firm process was where I started to get a small sense of the firm's culture (or whatever you want to call it). Just put your best foot forward and apply broadly - the first time you'll have to be choosey is if you get more OCIs than you can fit into your schedule (unlikely for most people) or if you get more than 5 in-firms. Until those days come (if they do), do not select yourself out of any opportunity.

29 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

I found that the in-firm process was where I started to get a small sense of the firm's culture (or whatever you want to call it). Just put your best foot forward and apply broadly - the first time you'll have to be choosey is if you get more OCIs than you can fit into your schedule (unlikely for most people) or if you get more than 5 in-firms. Until those days come (if they do), do not select yourself out of any opportunity.

Again, thank you for the helpful tips. 

Regarding the notion of applying broadly, did you customize your cover letter for each individual firm you applied to? I've begun conducting research on several firms that I'm particularly keen on, but for the most part, these firms seem quite similar in terms of their practice areas and other aspects.

LMP
  • Law Student
Just now, Guest Anonymous said:

Regarding the notion of applying broadly, did you customize your cover letter for each individual firm you applied to? I've begun conducting research on several firms that I'm particularly keen on, but for the most part, these firms seem quite similar in terms of their practice areas and other aspects.

I divided mine into categories. So something like: biglaw, lit botique, insurance, government. 

And then each category had a cover letter unique to it. But between firms in the same category you just swap names in and out. 

chaboywb
  • Lawyer
8 minutes ago, Guest Anonymous said:

Pretty much what LMP said. The main thing to avoid is saying you're interested in a practice area that they don't do, like saying you're interested in real estate transactions to a litigation boutique. If you have a niche practice area you're interested in, make sure you find at least a couple lawyers at the firm that practice in that area.

5 hours ago, chaboywb said:

Pretty much what LMP said. The main thing to avoid is saying you're interested in a practice area that they don't do, like saying you're interested in real estate transactions to a litigation boutique. If you have a niche practice area you're interested in, make sure you find at least a couple lawyers at the firm that practice in that area.

5 hours ago, LMP said:

I divided mine into categories. So something like: biglaw, lit botique, insurance, government. 

And then each category had a cover letter unique to it. But between firms in the same category you just swap names in and out. 

This advice is all super helpful. Thank you!!!

chilly
  • Law Student
On 5/24/2023 at 9:32 PM, Guest Anonymous said:

Attend firm tours. Coffee chats with lawyers and summer/articling students are also a good idea, once you've checked out a firm's website or attended a tour!

I'd also highly recommend speaking to upper year students as well, since they've gone through the process relatively recently and are quite happy to chat and share tips with fellow students. There is a spreadsheet where students and alumni have added their names if they are open to talking to students about places they've worked/career matters generally. If you don't know have access to it, reach out to the LSS or upper years.