2L Vancouver Recruit Chances?

dots

dots
  • Law Student

I just finished 1L and got 1 A, 1 A-, 3 B+, and 1 B. I was wondering how my chances for the recruit look. How many firms should I apply to and how many OCIs does someone with my grades typically get? 

Also does someone being on the Dean’s list basically guarantee a big law job?

Thanks for reading

Edited by dots

lawfacade123
  • Law Student

They're very good. Maybe apply to 15+ firms? Do whatever makes you comfortable. I know some people with competitive applications/grades who applied to five and felt fine about it and others who needed to apply to over 20 with similar stats just to not feel stressed that they applied too narrowly.

No guarantee, but you can feel good about it. Just express genuine interest and be a nice person to interact with and you'll probably be fine.

chilly
  • Law Student

Generally, it never hurts to apply broadly, provided you are interested in the firms you apply to. The more you apply to, the more you may land. You can always turn down OCIs and in-firms (and at the scheduling stage, the firms will offer your interview spot to another candidate on their list if you decline). 

That said, do what you're comfortable with and apply where you might actually want to work.  Some classmates who knew that they wanted to work in certain areas (e.g. L&E) applied to just a few firms and ultimately landed their first choices.

I had similar 1L grades and received 20 OCI offers. Classmates with similar grades got a similar number of OCIs.

A job is never guaranteed, especially in the 2L recruit. Grades are an important factor that will help you get the first interview. Good grades generally make you a stronger candidate and therefore have more choices during the process. But they're not everything, and it's a competitive process, so you still have to work hard on your application package and prep well for your interviews.

Edited by chilly
grammar

Asian Jim
  • Law Student
On 5/25/2023 at 8:31 PM, dots said:

I just finished 1L and got 1 A, 1 A-, 3 B+, and 1 B. I was wondering how my chances for the recruit look. How many firms should I apply to and how many OCIs does someone with my grades typically get? 

Also does someone being on the Dean’s list basically guarantee a big law job?

Thanks for reading

It would depend on the school you go to. The same grades from TRU/Windsor are very different than UBC/uoft in terms of getting a biglaw job.

dots
  • Law Student
On 5/25/2023 at 5:55 PM, lawfacade123 said:

They're very good. Maybe apply to 15+ firms? Do whatever makes you comfortable. I know some people with competitive applications/grades who applied to five and felt fine about it and others who needed to apply to over 20 with similar stats just to not feel stressed that they applied too narrowly.

No guarantee, but you can feel good about it. Just express genuine interest and be a nice person to interact with and you'll probably be fine.

Thanks for taking the time to respond! that makes sense, I appreciate the feedback.

On 5/26/2023 at 8:31 AM, chilly said:

Generally, it never hurts to apply broadly, provided you are interested in the firms you apply to. The more you apply to, the more you may land. You can always turn down OCIs and in-firms (and at the scheduling stage, the firms will offer your interview spot to another candidate on their list if you decline). 

That said, do what you're comfortable with and apply where you might actually want to work.  Some classmates who knew that they wanted to work in certain areas (e.g. L&E) applied to just a few firms and ultimately landed their first choices.

I had similar 1L grades and received 20 OCI offers. Classmates with similar grades got a similar number of OCIs.

A job is never guaranteed, especially in the 2L recruit. Grades are an important factor that will help you get the first interview. Good grades generally make you a stronger candidate and therefore have more choices during the process. But they're not everything, and it's a competitive process, so you still have to work hard on your application package and prep well for your interviews.

Thank you for the heads up, I wasn't sure how the OCI process worked so that really helps. I appreciate your response!