How do you find a job outside of OCIs for second year summer?

LawstudentinCanada

Same way you find anything outside the recurit, roll up your sleeves and start digging around. Your school will have postings on their job board/portal but you can go beyond those choices. 

Try setting up job alerts on third party boards for terms like "summer student" or "law student".

Check firms websites under the "career" or "student" headings to see if they hire. 

Cold email/call smaller shops to see if they'd be willing to take you on. 

If this is right after the recruit, move on to what I call the "redemption recruit" which has a number of firms that for whatever reason like to wait until after to do their interviews.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
SNAILS
  • Law Student

When I first started cold emailing firms (in 1L) who were not advertising, it was very awkward and uncomfortable. Get over that discomfort and just reach out. Keep the emails very brief and direct. You are a law student. You are looking for a summer spot. You have interest in the type of law they practice and/or some specific element of their practice. You are wondering if they might consider taking you on for the summer.

goodisgood
  • Law Student

My law school careers website had postings that were not part of the OCI process, and there were also positions on websites like LinkedIn. One thing that helped me was reaching out to people at the firms that I was interested in (ideally, before OCIs happened so it didn't seem like you were only reaching out because you failed to secure an OCI) to try and schedule online coffee chats to learn more about the firm. 

One way to narrow things down is to think of an area of law you might be interested in. Real Estate, securities, construction, etc. This might come back to what you have already done in school, or if you have work experience, what area you were in prior to law. For example if you were in the entertainment industry, maybe that could help you if you were trying to break into entertainment law. 

• 4 weeks later...
Ribbons
  • Law Student

The aboriginal law student summer program in ontario 🙂 and for first year, I met folks from a legal tech company at a 'career fair' type event 2 weeks into school and was offered a summer job!

PlayALawyerOnTV
  • Law Student

I had a few interviews during OCI's but ultimately struck out. Kept an eye on my schools CDO site as new postings went up and then set up a bunch of email alerts on sites like Indeed, LinkedIn, etc. Found a posting with a tech company's in-house legal team on Indeed in mid-May. Interviewed, was hired and started by the end of the month. 

GoWestYoungMan
  • Articling Student
18 hours ago, PlayALawyerOnTV said:

I had a few interviews during OCI's but ultimately struck out. Kept an eye on my schools CDO site as new postings went up and then set up a bunch of email alerts on sites like Indeed, LinkedIn, etc. Found a posting with a tech company's in-house legal team on Indeed in mid-May. Interviewed, was hired and started by the end of the month. 

I was pretty much the same as above - kept an eye out everywhere, saw an in-house role with a construction firm in April on the Career Office portal, interviewed in May, and was hired and started first week of June. You just need to be on top of the various sites where stuff is posted.