When to look for a place in Ottawa?

chameli B

chameli B
  • Law Student

Does anyone know when to start looking for a place? I am from BC, and finding a place thousands of kilometres away is daunting. I read that Ontario requires 2 months' notice when leaving a place. Would that mean I should look at a place in June if I want to move in by August? I was initially planning to go to Ottawa in early July for a week to find a place, but this 2 months' notice is now making me think I should go there in the next couple of weeks. Advice? Questions? concerns?

PS. For people outside of Ontario, Ontario does NOT have rent control for places built/ occupied after Nov 15, 2018. So keep in mind that if seeing new builds, which often try to entice you with a couple of months of free rent. From what I am reading online, landlords routinely jack up rent hundreds of dollars after leases end in these situations.

Debtful
  • Applicant

Ontario requires 30 days notice. 

Buildings built pre-2018 can also raise their rent above the maximum yearly increase so long as they apply to do so. Its still safer renting in buildings pre-2018, the downside is they can be old and shitty (especially in Ottawa). 

Many people start to look now but many people also find place in July and August. Consider the fact that many people who have graduated this year (and don't intend to stay) have likely left Ottawa and given notice. Landlords for these places likely will start/have started looking for tenants. Many people will also want to have secured housing early. 

If you want to move in by August you should be looking June just to be safe.

• Like 1