how do you get better at legal research?

throwawaylegalresearch123

throwawaylegalresearch123
  • Law Student

I'm a decent student, but I did NOT pay enough attention in Legal Research and Writing. I feel like I really need to work on understanding how to use research databases, reading/understanding caselaw, figuring out how to find answers when it isn't in a secondary source, etc. In other words, all the basic stuff that a lawyer needs to understand LOL. Does anyone have suggestions about how I can improve these skills? (My school offers occasional Westlaw/Lexis training sessions, and I plan to seek those out, but I think I need to do more than that.) Thank you in advance and please be kind!

omigone
  • Law Student

This is a great place to start for Westlaw: https://lawschool.thomsonreuters.com/assign-lessons/ . You can do a self-paced course and gain certifications. It'll teach you all the useful parts of the platform, boolean searches etc. If you're ever looking for something specific during research, this website has pdf documents for all the various things you'll be doing in Westlaw: https://www.thomsonreuters.ca/en/training-and-support/westlaw-edge-canada.html

Lexis I find doesn't give amazing self teaching resources, but you can find them here: https://www.lexisnexis.ca/en-ca/training/product/lexis-advance-quicklaw.page

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Twenty
  • Articling Student

I abuse the "/s" connector at work when searching for case law. It's awesome.

• Like 3

Aureliuse
  • Lawyer

The more you use it, the better you get at it. It's like first week driving vs. driving after 10 years (still accident free I hope lol)

Get into a habit of finding caselaw that you are interested in (for example "contributory negligence"), then play around with the database. How to find all resources on this particular topic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Ribbons
  • Law Student

Take a moot course and take as many paper based courses as you can (In 2L I did a massive moot; 5 paper based courses; 4 exams). I improved heavily between first year and second and this summer I am getting more praise than I ever have on my writing and research skills. I find it all comes down to reading good legal research and practice and developing a successful research method (if you want to know my exact research method shoot me a message!).

• 1 month later...