What can I do to increase my chances of landing a 1L Summer internship?

doggoford

doggoford
  • Applicant

I'm an incoming law student at UOttawa (unless I get off the waitlist at my top choice school) this September and I want to ask what I can do right now and during 1L to increase my chances of landing a 1L Summer associate position in big law.

I fully understand landing a 1L position is rare and difficult but I still want to aim for it. I know the pay will help my debt load coming out of law school and the connection made with the firm will reduce my stress level going into 2L and 3L.

I don't know anyone who has attended a law school in my family or in my close circle so I don't have anyone to ask for advice on this topic.

I know having high grades is the number one priority when it comes to getting hired as a summer associate/intern but I want to know specifically what others in this forum have done outside of studying and acing exams to land a 1L position. I will be sure to study my butt off in 1L but also want to be savvy about the way I approach the recruiting process if there are other ways to increase my chances.

Thanks in advance! 🙂

Edited by doggoford

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

Get As. Lots of ‘em. Cant really do anything else between now and 1L. 

• Like 1

cactusjack6
  • Law Student

PM me and l will give you some tips, i am a U Ottawa student as well.