Request for review of articling application materials

icecreamluver

icecreamluver
  • Law Student

I have been applying to articling positions all over canada and thought my materials were in decent shape - I used the same materials during 2L recruit and received interviews. But I just got rejected from the 3 Alberta law firms I applied to and am wondering if there are any red flags in my materials that I’m not spotting. Tbf the rejections could just be because I have no connection to Alberta but I was given the impression by my school’s CSO that the Alberta recruit was ‘easier’ than the Van/Toronto recruit. 

• 2 weeks later...
Ribbons
  • Law Student

I am happy to look over your materials if you want a second set of eyes, just shoot me a message. I got summer positions both 1L and 2L, and offers in articling recruit (I only did Ontario and applied and got interviews to Ottawa gov but didn't apply corporate, will be applying Toronto as well as a back up plan).

If I'm understanding correctly, you didn't change your application packages much between applying for a 2L summer and articling? I would flag that maybe this is the issue as most students improve a lot between those periods of application and so they would have updated their packages to reflect it? Also if you have a 2L is there a particular reason why you aren't accepting an articling offer there?