Improving on LG

Darthvader

Darthvader
  • Applicant

Constantly scoring between -9 to -7 on LG. Fool-proofing isn’t working for me. How to reduce it to -2/-3. Have read everywhere how LG is the easiest thing to improve upon but it’s not working out for me. Doing well on the other sections. 

Could anyone share their experience, if they struggled with LG.

have you tried doing the questions untimed first? understanding exactly how to do it and why before you time yourself?

Darthvader
  • Applicant
6 minutes ago, lawbarbie said:

have you tried doing the questions untimed first? understanding exactly how to do it and why before you time yourself?

Yes I have, I do significantly better without time constraints. I am having difficulty doing it timed, always get stuck on a game and mess it up. 

ProudCrocodile
  • Law School Admit

Have you used any prep materials? Lsat trainer by mike kim and powerscore lg bible would be useful.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are able to accurately answer most LG questions untimed, then that suggests your timed effort could be aided a more systematic use of available information.

For example, you do not want to attempt the questions as they come! You want to attempt the questions first that are A) easier and B) likely to yield useful info for some of the harder questions. That means, you should be answering questions in the following order:

Inclusions / Exclusion

These questions have the flavour of “which one of the following is an acceptable list of swimmers 1st to 7th”. We do these first because they A) give us a free setup once we identify the correct answer choice, and B) are easier so act as warm-ups until we start to get a handle on the game.

These tend to be the first question into the set.

Local Questions

These questions give us additional information that further restricts the number of possibilities beyond the base rule set. We do these second because A) they are easier by virtue of limiting the number of possibilities and B) they tend to yield particular scenarios that you will come back and reference when doing global questions.

The flavour of these is “If X goes in 3, how many possibilities are there for Y?”

Global Questions

These questions don’t give any additional information, and are therefore not any more restrictive than the base rule setup. So we do these after local questions because we might be able to use some of our local work to answer them.

For example, if a question asks “which of the following can go in spot 2?” and you have a local scenario in your chart / setup with X in 2, and you see X as answer choice C, then you darn well pick that son of a gun and move along! No thinking required.

Modification Questions

These change our view of the game and hence are only done last for obvious reasons.

BTW: If self studying I highly recommend the Manhattan series of LSAT guides. They are best bang for the buck and their LG book is, in my professional opinion, much superior to PowerScore. I have read both and was reared on PS, but would take Manhattan any day of the week.

Edited by AllanC
  • Thanks 1

Darthvader
  • Applicant
3 hours ago, AllanC said:

If you are able to accurately answer most LG questions untimed, then that suggests your timed effort could be aided a more systematic use of available information.

For example, you do not want to attempt the questions as they come! You want to attempt the questions first that are A) easier and B) likely to yield useful info for some of the harder questions. That means, you should be answering questions in the following order:

Inclusions / Exclusion

These questions have the flavour of “which one of the following is an acceptable list of swimmers 1st to 7th”. We do these first because they A) give us a free setup once we identify the correct answer choice, and B) are easier so act as warm-ups until we start to get a handle on the game.

These tend to be the first question into the set.

Local Questions

These questions give us additional information that further restricts the number of possibilities beyond the base rule set. We do these second because A) they are easier by virtue of limiting the number of possibilities and B) they tend to yield particular scenarios that you will come back and reference when doing global questions.

The flavour of these is “If X goes in 3, how many possibilities are there for Y?”

Global Questions

These questions don’t give any additional information, and are therefore not any more restrictive than the base rule setup. So we do these after local questions because we might be able to use some of our local work to answer them.

For example, if a question asks “which of the following can go in spot 2?” and you have a local scenario in your chart / setup with X in 2, and you see X as answer choice C, then you darn well pick that son of a gun and move along! No thinking required.

Modification Questions

These change our view of the game and hence are only done last for obvious reasons.

BTW: If self studying I highly recommend the Manhattan series of LSAT guides. They are best bang for the buck and their LG book is, in my professional opinion, much superior to PowerScore. I have read both and was reared on PS, but would take Manhattan any day of the week.

Never thought of answering questions in this manner (particularly the difference between local and global questions). Thank you so much!!

I do great in untimed practice but sometimes I get stuck on a particular game and ruin the whole section in PTs. Been drilling the type of games I get stuck at, that seems to be helping with both accuracy and total speed. 

maybemaybe
  • Applicant

I am more of a math/logic type person so I was naturally good at LG while I really struggled when studying for RC and LR. However, I still have some tips that I hope might help!

Firstly, I'd recommend doing untimed practices over and over again with different game types. As you work through each game, say the process out loud to yourself. Identify what type of game youre looking at. I think a large part of being successful in logic games is creating good game boards above all. Spend a decent amount of time on that during your practice and then try searching up the game online to see how others have drawn their board. ALWAYS MAKE AS MANY INFERENCES AND DEDUCTIONS AS YOU CAN and practice recognizing when you can split your gameboard. As you write in each rule, cross them off as you go. Read the beginning description carefully as they provide many helpful tips for your initial setup. Draw a new gameboard for each new premise question. And if you're already really good at RC and LR, I recommend spending most of your time doing several games over and over again. If you do really badly on a game, review it and do it again 1-2 days later.

Hope this helps, good luck with your studying!