Question on picking courses for 1L

FirsttimeUser

FirsttimeUser
  • Applicant

I am confused of the courses to pick for 1L. I read the email sent by the school and it says we only need to select one course( CML 1207/CML 1203/CML 1206). Does this mean for Fall term we only go to this small group and the large group associated with it? what about the following courses?

• CML 1101
  • CML 1102
  • CML 1106
  • CML 1108
  • 3 course units fromCML 1105 / CML 1109

can I assume for winter 2024 each of us will take the above 5 courses?

Debtful
  • Applicant

You pick your small group class (either torts, pubcon or criminal law) and based on the section, it creates your entire schedule. The only other class you need to pick is your thematic, which you take in the winter. You don't enrol in that until sometime in the fall. 

https://www.uottawa.ca/faculty-law/common-law/student-centre/enrollment/first-year-english-jd-programs - if you click the specific small group it'll generate a PDF of the schedule. 

Also. bad news but you take 6 courses in the fall (7 if they make you take DRPR) and 7 in the winter (your core 6 + thematic). 

• Like 1

scooter
  • Law Student

Yeah they'll send an email explaining if they haven't already, but you only need to enrol in your small group section (CML 120X) on enrolment day and they do the rest automatically.

The course codes you listed are Legal Foundations, Contracts, Dispute Resolution, Property, and the thematic course.

Contracts, property, and legal foundations are full year (property used to be one semester but they changed it). Dispute resolution is fall semester + January term. Thematic is winter term only (feb-april).

Ob16
  • Law Student
12 minutes ago, scooter said:

Yeah they'll send an email explaining if they haven't already, but you only need to enrol in your small group section (CML 120X) on enrolment day and they do the rest automatically.

The course codes you listed are Legal Foundations, Contracts, Dispute Resolution, Property, and the thematic course.

Contracts, property, and legal foundations are full year (property used to be one semester but they changed it). Dispute resolution is fall semester + January term. Thematic is winter term only (feb-april).

3 hours ago, Debtful said:

You pick your small group class (either torts, pubcon or criminal law) and based on the section, it creates your entire schedule. The only other class you need to pick is your thematic, which you take in the winter. You don't enrol in that until sometime in the fall. 

https://www.uottawa.ca/faculty-law/common-law/student-centre/enrollment/first-year-english-jd-programs - if you click the specific small group it'll generate a PDF of the schedule. 

Also. bad news but you take 6 courses in the fall (7 if they make you take DRPR) and 7 in the winter (your core 6 + thematic). 

I just checked my small groups schedules available for the French program. I noticed a lot of hybrid classes (most of the afternoon classes are hybrid). Does this mean that they do a live session and then post recordings? How does hybrid work in law school?

thanks!

scooter
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, Ob16 said:

I just checked my small groups schedules available for the French program. I noticed a lot of hybrid classes (most of the afternoon classes are hybrid). Does this mean that they do a live session and then post recordings? How does hybrid work in law school?

Unfortunately I'm not in the French program and didn't have any hybrid courses last year

istudyforfun
  • Applicant
6 hours ago, Debtful said:

Is there a way to take less courses in 1L?

Debtful
  • Applicant
41 minutes ago, istudyforfun said:

Is there a way to take less courses in 1L?

I dont believe so - not if you intend to complete your degree in 3 years. Ottawa does not offer summer courses. Reducing your course load would mean being part time. 

Chewy
  • Law School Admit
7 hours ago, cactusjack6 said:

AVOID ADA FOR PROPERTY AT ALL COSTS

Did she yell at you?

koalalaw
  • Law School Admit

When is the 1L course selection? I got locked out of my email somehow and have not been able to get in yet...

Chewy
  • Law School Admit
2 hours ago, koalalaw said:

When is the 1L course selection? I got locked out of my email somehow and have not been able to get in yet...

June 20th.

lawyerpk
  • Applicant
On 6/2/2023 at 4:07 PM, FirsttimeUser said:

I am confused of the courses to pick for 1L. I read the email sent by the school and it says we only need to select one course( CML 1207/CML 1203/CML 1206). Does this mean for Fall term we only go to this small group and the large group associated with it? what about the following courses?

• CML 1101
  • CML 1102
  • CML 1106
  • CML 1108
  • 3 course units fromCML 1105 / CML 1109

can I assume for winter 2024 each of us will take the above 5 courses?

When/where did you get the email? I haven't gotten one yet and the UOttawa email doesn't seem to be working for me. 

msephora
  • Law School Admit
5 hours ago, lawyerpk said:

When/where did you get the email? I haven't gotten one yet and the UOttawa email doesn't seem to be working for me. 

I got mine on May 26th to my personal email on file. 

Chewy
  • Law School Admit
On 6/2/2023 at 4:15 PM, Debtful said:

Could you, or any other student, please clarify what the tutorial looks like? It says at the bottom of the schedule that it’s not mandatory, but I’m curious as to what it’s for.

cactusjack6
  • Law Student

Tutorials will be with your TA for each specific course where they will go over the past weeks material with you in a student-friendly way that will hopefully be easier to digest than your prof. They will also answer any questions and if there are any common concerns about the class or the content or the exam, they can help facilitate that conversation with the prof. The tutorials are not mandatory, but they do keep a list of who attends. It really is for your benefit to go, but if you do not feel it is helpful or yo have other conflicts on a certain day then it is no problem to miss them. The only course you will not have a tutorial in is your small group and thematic in the winter. 

Edited by cactusjack6
  • Thanks 1