New York 2L Recruit

loveferrets_222

loveferrets_222
  • Law Student

Hi everyone, starting this thread because NY recruit is big this year at Canadian law schools and I thought it would be good to keep track of everyone's progress! Post below if you've been involved in the NY recruit/heard back from anywhere.

• Like 1

xoxogossipgirl
  • Law Student

This is a great idea, thanks for starting this!

Offers: Weil, Davis Polk

OCI: Skadden, SullCrom, Shearman, Kirkland & Paul Weiss 

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

Would help if people posted the school they're applying from and their 1L GPA (your posts are absolutely useless otherwise)! I didn't participate in the NY recruit because I didn't make deans list, so If I see any offers from non-deans list Queen's applicants, I may jump off a bridge.

Edit: not serious about the bridge. 

Edited by QueensDenning

Ben
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, QueensDenning said:

Would help if people posted the school they're applying from and their 1L GPA (your posts are absolutely useless otherwise)! I didn't participate in the NY recruit because I didn't make deans list, so If I see any offers from non-deans list Queen's applicants, I may jump off a bridge.

I don’t think they’re useless, since they’re not designed to inform people who didn’t participate what their chances would’ve been if they had. They’re designed to keep people posted on which firms have reached out and which ones haven’t. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
19 hours ago, QueensDenning said:

Don't worry, I don't think the New York firms are that desperate yet. They'd rather wait until you've been laundered through a comparable Canadian firm.

• Like 1

Ben
  • Law Student

In case this thread is updating more than a group of people who are talking to each other IRL anyway (lol):

callbacks seem to have gone out for White & Case, Sidley, and Sullcrom. I don’t know anyone who’s heard from Skadden and if you have please say so

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
1 hour ago, Ben said:

In case this thread is updating more than a group of people who are talking to each other IRL anyway (lol):

callbacks seem to have gone out for White & Case, Sidley, and Sullcrom. I don’t know anyone who’s heard from Skadden and if you have please say so

I know of someone whose heard from skadden. Would be more useful if ppl posted stats. 

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Posting stats would make people very recognizable to employers who might look at this site. I wouldn’t recommend it, even if you think you’ll never post for anything except the recruits. 

• Like 2

Ben
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, QueensDenning said:

I know of someone whose heard from skadden. Would be more useful if ppl posted stats. 

Oh really? Post-OCI or was this pre-recruit

Telephantasm
5 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Posting stats would make people very recognizable to employers who might look at this site. I wouldn’t recommend it, even if you think you’ll never post for anything except the recruits. 

You seriously think that a NY firm will be scouring a niche Canadian law student blog? I can assure you that my firm doesn't.

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
7 minutes ago, Telephantasm said:

You seriously think that a NY firm will be scouring a niche Canadian law student blog? I can assure you that my firm doesn't.

No, it’s pretty unlikely that a NY firm would. But I know some Canadian firms used to check in on LS.ca back in the day, and plenty of people who apply to NY will also be applying to Canadian firms in the coming months. 

As an aside, why are you listing yourself as an articling student if you work at a NY firm? They don’t have articling students. 

• Like 1

Telephantasm
5 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

No, it’s pretty unlikely that a NY firm would. But I know some Canadian firms used to check in on LS.ca back in the day, and plenty of people who apply to NY will also be applying to Canadian firms in the coming months. 

As an aside, why are you listing yourself as an articling student if you work at a NY firm? They don’t have articling students. 

Not called to the bar and there's no "clerk" option. Also, why does it matter?

• Like 5

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
Just now, Telephantasm said:

Not called to the bar and there's no "clerk" option. Also, why does it matter?

I think it’s weird when people misrepresent themselves. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Telephantasm
Just now, BlockedQuebecois said:

I think it’s weird when people misrepresent themselves. 

I'm not misrepresenting anything, it's the closest equivalent. But even then, why the salt?

• Like 6

Ben
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, EasternCottontail said:

Did any of you send thank-you notes to your interviewers?

Only if I feel like we really hit it off and I have something to mention. I feel like people are pretty 50/50 on this, so you can probably just do whatever’s comfortable for you 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2021 at 10:39 PM, Telephantasm said:

Eh, I interview Canadian students for a biglaw firm pretty often and I separately often browse this site just kind of out of interest to see what's up in Canadian legal land (since I might move back some day and I'm interested, and the US-threads always draw my attention). Sounds like you do, too. So it's not a 0% chance that someone posting here would also be interviewed by me (or you, presumably). So it's possible someone would out themselves!

(But also, I truly wouldn't give a shit or anything and would just find it to be a fun small world moment and would never mention it or have any irl consequence, so there's that).

• Like 1