What is a safe LSAT score for me? How LONG do I need to study for the LSAT?

LawstudentinCanada

LawstudentinCanada

If i have a 151 lsat currently (last year writing), a. 3.1 gpa, and a 3.7 L2, decent ECS, and reference letters to vouch for my gpa. I am trying to get a better score so I am not only relying on ECS and reference letters and my l2 anymore. I need to do better if I want to get in. 

What is a goal score in mind I should have? ( I am aiming for anything above 160) but whats the lowest i can score and also be able to get in somewhere? (only asking so i have an idea but that wont be my goal score). 

If my goal is a 160 when should I write? Also how many timed tests should I do before the test day and how often? 

Pls provide any tips you might have! I am in a LSAT course rn and I have prep books so I don't need any recommendations on this topic, because I unfortunately already spent so much on this haha 

Sorry for all the questions, I don't know who else to ask!! 😞

Thank you 

SYANG09
  • Applicant

A "safe" LSAT score depends pretty much on which schools you're applying for. I don't have the admissions stats from this cycle but the median LSAT scores for most schools were from high 150's to low 160's (with the exceptions of UofT and UBC). They are def higher this year given tighter competitions but the numbers most likely will go back to normal next cycle. If you wanna have an exact number in mind, my advice is to pick schools that you can predict your chances in by putting your numbers into a formula, e.g. UVic. With historic index scores and your GPA (w/ drops) you may calculate what LSAT score needed for auto admission. Also, schools that only look at B2 or L2 are safer options to you since your cGPA isn't very competitive.

Since I have no idea know how prepared you are, I cannot say when the best date to rewrite will be. However, bear in mind applicants of next cycle ought to retake LSAT by January '22 as it is the latest LSAT all law schools will consider. If you've missed the deadline for August LSAT, def retake in October or November (for int'l takers it'll be October only). Don't wait until January since you will risk not achieving your target score in one go. 

LSAT prep varies from person to person, so my advice may be of little use to you. I was still in uni before my first LSAT. After taking online courses with 7sage last winter, I spent 4 days a week doing 2-3 timed sections in the morning and blind reviewing & checking answers in the afternoon. I usually did 1 or 2 PTs on Friday and spent my whole weekend on BR and answer checking. One week before the actually test, I stopped doing PTs and timed sections. Instead I went back to all the questions I got wrong and categorized them (most useful in LR). Again, this was just my strategy and it may not apply across the board. 

Edited by SYANG09
  • Like 1

LawstudentinCanada
3 hours ago, SYANG09 said:

A "safe" LSAT score depends pretty much on which schools you're applying for. I don't have the admissions stats from this cycle but the median LSAT scores for most schools were from high 150's to low 160's (with the exceptions of UofT and UBC). They are def higher this year given tighter competitions but the numbers most likely will go back to normal next cycle. If you wanna have an exact number in mind, my advice is to pick schools that you can predict your chances in by putting your numbers into a formula, e.g. UVic. With historic index scores and your GPA (w/ drops) you may calculate what LSAT score needed for auto admission. Also, schools that only look at B2 or L2 are safer options to you since your cGPA isn't very competitive.

Since I have no idea know how prepared you are, I cannot say when the best date to rewrite will be. However, bear in mind applicants of next cycle ought to retake LSAT by January '22 as it is the latest LSAT all law schools will consider. If you've missed the deadline for August LSAT, def retake in October or November (for int'l takers it'll be October only). Don't wait until January since you will risk not achieving your target score in one go. 

LSAT prep varies from person to person, so my advice may be of little use to you. I was still in uni before my first LSAT. After taking online courses with 7sage last winter, I spent 4 days a week doing 2-3 timed sections in the morning and blind reviewing & checking answers in the afternoon. I usually did 1 or 2 PTs on Friday and spent my whole weekend on BR and answer checking. One week before the actually test, I stopped doing PTs and timed sections. Instead I went back to all the questions I got wrong and categorized them (most useful in LR). Again, this was just my strategy and it may not apply across the board. 

Thank you so much for such a clear and defined response to my questions. I will def take notes and add them to my schedule in terms of how to study and how to improve from here onwards. 

Also i didnt know there was such a thing as auto admission based off calculations. For Queens (for example) how would I calculate it ? I think all the information regarding admissions cycles in the past have disappeared so this makes it tough 😞

SYANG09
  • Applicant
8 hours ago, LawstudentinCanada said:

Also i didnt know there was such a thing as auto admission based off calculations. For Queens (for example) how would I calculate it ? I think all the information regarding admissions cycles in the past have disappeared so this makes it tough 😞

Auto admissions isn't an explicit policy as I was told. I have no idea whether Queen's uses it but it def applies to UBC and UVic. If you need relevant admission data, this post has archived older posts that may come to your assistance.

Edited by SYANG09

SNAILS
  • Law Student

The GPA you have indicated will be a hurdle, though not an impassable hurdle.

You need that 160+ to feel safe about your chances, though this will vary a bit depending on how picky you are about where you go.

I recommend 7Sage, especially if you have lots of room for improvement on LG. LG is the easiest area to improve upon with studying.

You will know when you are ready for the actual test when you are consistently scoring 158 to 164 on PTs. 

If you deviate from the rules of the LSAT (i.e. not strictly obeying time rules) you are only cheating yourself.

Spend more time reviewing your answers, especially blind reviewing, then you do on taking the test themselves!

Edited by SNAILS
  • Thanks 1