Administrative Call to Bar Process

Futurelawyer775

Futurelawyer775
  • Articling Student

Does anyone know what the process is for the administrative call to bar? Is it alphabetical based on last names or random selection of candidate names to review files as they finish articling? Has anyone finished articling in May and has not yet been called to the bar? 

Rumcola
  • Lawyer

Yes, I finished articling in May but haven't been called yet. Submitted my forms on May 3. I know lots of people who finished articling after me and submitted documents weeks after me who've been called. It doesn't seem to be alphabetical, based on the names of people I know who have been called. Really not sure how the LSO is making its decisions.

Futurelawyer775
  • Articling Student
2 hours ago, Rumcola said:

Yes, I finished articling in May but haven't been called yet. Submitted my forms on May 3. I know lots of people who finished articling after me and submitted documents weeks after me who've been called. It doesn't seem to be alphabetical, based on the names of people I know who have been called. Really not sure how the LSO is making its decisions.

I’m on the same boat. I also submitted my forms on May 3 and had them approved right away. Hoping we get called this Friday! 

Rumcola
  • Lawyer
On 6/7/2021 at 4:39 PM, Futurelawyer775 said:

I’m on the same boat. I also submitted my forms on May 3 and had them approved right away. Hoping we get called this Friday! 

So I called the LSO this morning and they told me that call to the bar dates are not based on who submitted their forms first or who finished articling first or when the LSO finishes processing/approving forms for a specific candidate. They said call to the bar dates are "randomized", meaning that someone who has submitted everything and everything has been approved could still be called weeks after someone else who finished fulfilling all the requirements after them.

Futurelawyer775
  • Articling Student
27 minutes ago, Rumcola said:

So I called the LSO this morning and they told me that call to the bar dates are not based on who submitted their forms first or who finished articling first or when the LSO finishes processing/approving forms for a specific candidate. They said call to the bar dates are "randomized", meaning that someone who has submitted everything and everything has been approved could still be called weeks after someone else who finished fulfilling all the requirements after them.

Thanks so much for sharing! One pattern I’ve noticed through my peers who have been called is that they receive a questionnaire/survey about the licensing process the week that they are going to get called. I believe it is after the LSO does the final review of their file. Hopefully we will get that email soon. 

• Like 1

BlackRod
  • Lawyer
56 minutes ago, Futurelawyer775 said:

Thanks so much for sharing! One pattern I’ve noticed through my peers who have been called is that they receive a questionnaire/survey about the licensing process the week that they are going to get called. I believe it is after the LSO does the final review of their file. Hopefully we will get that email soon. 

Interesting. I figured everyone received the survey/questionnaire at the same time. Thanks for sharing. 

Rumcola
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, Futurelawyer775 said:

I know one person who has been called but hasn't recieved the survey, so I'm not sure if this is a consistent pattern.

• Thanks 1

Futurelawyer775
  • Articling Student
40 minutes ago, Rumcola said:

I know one person who has been called but hasn't recieved the survey, so I'm not sure if this is a consistent pattern.

This makes me feel better, thanks for sharing. Now I won’t be freaking out if I don’t get the survey this week. 

Edited by Futurelawyer775

• 2 weeks later...
law_ontario
  • Lawyer

I received the Call to the Bar notification last week.  Just wondering when the LSO sends out the certificate?  There was supposed to be more info sent this week but did not receive anything. 

• 2 weeks later...
Civil2Common
  • Lawyer
On 6/9/2021 at 12:48 PM, Rumcola said:

Potentially silly question but is the survey in reference to the "record of experiential training" document in the licensing process website? 

I completed/submitted all the required documents a few weeks ago (as did my articling supervisor complete the performance appraisal form) but I haven't heard from the LSO yet. Partially just wondering if that is normal (based on the previous comments, it seems to be). 

• 3 weeks later...
Rumcola
  • Lawyer
On 6/28/2021 at 11:03 AM, Civil2Common said:

Potentially silly question but is the survey in reference to the "record of experiential training" document in the licensing process website? 

I completed/submitted all the required documents a few weeks ago (as did my articling supervisor complete the performance appraisal form) but I haven't heard from the LSO yet. Partially just wondering if that is normal (based on the previous comments, it seems to be). 

I'm guessing you've been called by now, sorry I didn't see this until now. But for future reference, no the survey is not the same thing as the record of experiential training. It's a separate anonymous survey link the LSO sends to ask questions about the licensing process.

• Like 1

Civil2Common
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, Rumcola said:

I'm guessing you've been called by now, sorry I didn't see this until now. But for future reference, no the survey is not the same thing as the record of experiential training. It's a separate anonymous survey link the LSO sends to ask questions about the licensing process.

No worries, thanks for the response! And no, not called yet. Funny enough I just finished my articling this week and submitted the last required document though, so I'll likely be called fairly soon! 🙂