Admin Law

Lawyered

Lawyered
  • Law Student

Hi  I am interested in Admin  Law ( e.g professional tribunals etc)

Does anyone know the top admin law firms in Toronto?

Had anyone has done articling with an admin law firm and will like to share their experience?

Can law students volunteer at an admin law firm to gain some insight?

Thank you

Telephantasm

The field of admin law is incredibly broad, mate. You encounter admin law anywhere you encounter a tribunal... which is most areas of the law, including the OSC, intellectual property boards, the law societies, labour and human rights tribunals, etc. It would be helpful if you were a bit more specific about what you mean, since, if you wanted to practice competition or immigration law, for example, you'd spend plenty of time practising admin law in front of the competition bureau and immigration and refugee board, but different firms are good at those two areas of the law.

If you're mostly interested in professional liability, you'd be well-served at a litigation boutique like Lenczner, Parliare, or Goldblatt.  

• Like 3

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Some firms do a lot of administrative law in the form of appeals and judicial review applications from many different tribunals. If that’s what you mean, the Toronto list would pretty closely mirror @Telephantasm’s. I’d probably add Stockwoods, although good luck getting a job there without a clerkship.

BLG seems to do a lot of that sort of work, as well. 

But as mentioned, administrative law is very broad. Immigration, competition, securities, landlord/tenancy, are all technically administrative law. Outside of criminal law, family law and pure commercial/civil litigation it’s pretty hard to think of an area that couldn’t be considered administrative law. 

• Like 1

abogada
  • Lawyer

A lot of government lawyers do admin law. This is a broad area- can be everything from advising statutory decision makers to appearing before tribunals. In Toronto, look into the MAG Legal Services Branch. The tribunals/boards also often have inhouse counsel and often hire articling students. 

Edited by abogada

Goblin King
  • Law Student

Curious to know which union-side firms do lots of work at the labour and human rights tribunals? I would assume it's all of them actually, but couldn't figure out a better way to frame the question within the context of this discussion. I guess I'm asking, if I wanted to represent unions, which will involve lots of tribunal work, which ones are preeminent in their fields?