OSAP for queens

Lsat Struggles

Lsat Struggles
  • Applicant

Just wondering what the 'program name' is as when I put Juris Doctor or JD Law it doesn't seem to find a match. Also what level of degree is this, doctoral?

DABMAN
  • Law School Admit

put "law"

I remember someone on this forum saying its a "second entry degree" or something like that, someone correct me please if I'm wrong

Edited by DABMAN
  • Like 1

Lsat Struggles
  • Applicant

Putting "law" worked. I the clarification is a bachelors

Edited by Lsat Struggles

• 8 months later...
QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

I think I put doctorate if I remember correctly. Not that a really think law is a doctorate degree (despite the jokes I make about almost being a doctor). But I think a JD is closer to a doctorate than a masters - and I guess it technically is a doctorate degree? Idk why they don't have something like "professional degree" as an option. Second entry degree seems like its a second undergraduate degree. 

JD is an TECHNICALLY an undergraduate degree.

MD is TECHNICALLY an undergraduate degree.

Schools advertise them as professional degrees, or some other fancy wording. But at their core these 2 competitive and prestigious degrees are undergraduate, as they are not post grad (IE graduate degree of continuing something like political science or buisness).

I was shocked to learn this too. But it's an interesting tidbit. This is why these programs get representation on Undergraduate Students' Unions.

On 4/19/2022 at 4:04 PM, QueensDenning said:

I think I put doctorate if I remember correctly. Not that a really think law is a doctorate degree (despite the jokes I make about almost being a doctor). But I think a JD is closer to a doctorate than a masters - and I guess it technically is a doctorate degree? Idk why they don't have something like "professional degree" as an option. Second entry degree seems like its a second undergraduate degree. 

JD is an TECHNICALLY an undergraduate degree.

MD is TECHNICALLY an undergraduate degree.

Schools advertise them as professional degrees, or some other fancy wording. But at their core these 2 competitive and prestigious degrees are undergraduate, as they are not post grad (IE graduate degree of continuing something like political science or buisness).

I was shocked to learn this too. But it's an interesting tidbit. This is why these programs get representation on Und

PLEASE IGNORE BAD FORMATTING 🙂

It's a second-entry undergraduate degree. This means that for the vast majority of people (i.e., only with few exceptions), you have to have an existing undergraduate degree to get admitted into the program. So while @qsizzle is correct that it is technically an undergrad, schools don't tend to treat it as such. To counter the point about student union representation, at Osgoode for example, the law students' society is a member of the graduate students' association.

The undergraduate designation for JD/MD goes back to the origins of the LLB and whatever equivalent it is for the MD in the UK. I don't remember. Anyway, it was a standard university degree you could go into after high school, just like today in the UK. That changed in the US when law and med school required prior university education, which is also partly why the degree names were changed. Canada followed the US model but didn't change the degree names until, I think, the 70s.

That said, I never applied for OSAP but I suspect if there's an option to select a "professional doctorate" then that might work. Otherwise it's probably classified as an undergrad.

It may actually be worth calling them and asking, because this question does likely come up for many others.

2 minutes ago, Ryn said:

It's a second-entry undergraduate degree. This means that for the vast majority of people (i.e., only with few exceptions), you have to have an existing undergraduate degree to get admitted into the program. So while @qsizzle is correct that it is technically an undergrad, schools don't tend to treat it as such. To counter the point about student union representation, at Osgoode for example, the law students' society is a member of the graduate students' association.

The undergraduate designation for JD/MD goes back to the origins of the LLB and whatever equivalent it is for the MD in the UK. I don't remember. Anyway, it was a standard university degree you could go into after high school, just like today in the UK. That changed in the US when law and med school required prior university education, which is also partly why the degree names were changed. Canada followed the US model but didn't change the degree names until, I think, the 70s.

That said, I never applied for OSAP but I suspect if there's an option to select a "professional doctorate" then that might work. Otherwise it's probably classified as an undergrad.

It may actually be worth calling them and asking, because this question does likely come up for many others.

Neat thanks for sharing! 🙂