TRU Law Alumni: What's your Story since Law School?

m3l3phant

m3l3phant
  • Law Student

I'd like to shift the focus a bit in this thread to call on any TRU Law graduates (that still pay attention to these forums) to discuss their experience POST bar exam. Many of these questions are just an inquiry into your career-related choices and feelings since law school. Feel free to answer however many of them you'd like in whatever order. Let's jump into it:

1) What type(s) of law are you practicing?

2) Are you a litigator or are you more on the research and/or administrative side?

3) Where are you (generally speaking) in BC? Did most of you stay in Kamloops or did some of you move out to Victoria or Vancouver? Why?

4) Does the TRU name have any sway in Vancouver or Victoria? At the end of the day, we make our own success, but all things being equal what is the common outlook on TRU grads in those areas? In other words, what's the 'vibe'? 

5) Are you living what you would personally describe as a 'comfortable' life, or the one that you imagined? Are you for the most part happy? 

Thanks!

Edited by m3l3phant
  • Like 1

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer

1. Corporate and real estate

2. None of the above. I'm a solicitor.

3. I'm in the Lower Mainland. Most grads go back to where they're from, because that's where their family is.

4. My current firm has a preference for TRU Law grads and has hired 5 of us in the past 18 months. The vibe about TRU in BC is that it is a good law school. At this stage, nobody has reservations about TRU grads in the BC/AB job market. UBC/UVic still have more sway because they have a significantly larger alumni base and more competitive admissions, but I don't have any concerns about TRU grads being able to find jobs.

5. I'm pretty comfortable. Bills are paid, I have free time, nothing to really complain about. I'd like to make more money and be able to afford a house relatively soon, but who wouldn't?

Edited by canuckfanatic
  • Like 2