Employer looking for advice

Redpearl99

Redpearl99
  • Lawyer

Hello law student community,

It has been over a decade since I went to law school.

I am now a partner at a boutique civil defence firm in Toronto.  I would like to add our first articling student to start this summer, but I first need some advice as I'm no longer familiar with the articling process and the Law Practice Program didn't exist in my time. 

Much appreciated if you can help with the following questions:

• When do articling placements generally start and is it too late to find a candidate to start this summer?  In other words, are graduates still looking for a placement to start immediately or is everyone already enrolled in the LPP if they haven't found an articling position?
  • Do students ever leave the LPP to continue articling at a firm?  If so, how does that affect the minimum number of months for a placement? 
  • Where are the best places to advertise about articling positions these days?  Linkedin? Indeed? 

best regards, Red

MSK2021
  • Lawyer

Students often start in July, after having written their licensing exams in June.

There are probably still a good number of students still looking for articles. Some of these students are enrolled in the LPP but happy to leave if offered articles. The LPP placements dont start until January so if you were to hire someone now, it wouldn't interfere with the LPP placement schedule. However, there is a date (I think in September) after which the LPP program administrators won't refund the administration fees.

I think Indeed is by far the most popular job search engine so that's a good site. The Law Society also has an "articling registry" where you can post your position. Another good option might be the Law Job Exchange group on Facebook.

• Like 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

I would also fire off an email to the CDOs of each of the law schools. They’ll be able to forward your job posting to students still searching for articles. 

• Like 2
  • Nom! 1

RubberDucky
  • Articling Student

I don't think it's too late to look for someone to start right away; there might still be students around. But most people look for articling during 3L.